Lost about 10Mbps in my download speed

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Lost about 10Mbps in my download speed

Heya, 

Yeah sure, let us know how it goes. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
PNwhitcombep
Dabbler

Thanks . I've had the other modem running for 3 days with no change in speed.  Again today I tested it with my PC connected into the back of the modem with all of my router etc disconnected. The results were 24mS ping, 45.08Mbps down and 17.08Mbps up.  If you want to arrange an Openreach visit afternoons are best for me.  I won't be available on Thursday 2nd June, but that's a bank holiday anyway and again I won't be available on Wednesday 8th June.

Many thanks

Phil

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Phil,

Cheers for the testing, I've booked the engineer visit from Openreach for Monday 06.06.22 between 1pm to 6pm. 

Fingers crossed they're able to get to the bottom of the issue! Keep me posted on how it goes. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
PNwhitcombep
Dabbler

Hello Gandalf.  The Openreach engineer (called Dave) came yesterday afternoon and spent a couple of hours testing and working on my line.  He then informed me that he would return this morning. He came back as promised and told me that he had re-terminated my cable pair through the route to the house.  He then tested the line at the master socket and again at the end of the RG modem cable. At the end of the modem cable he got a sync speed of 64.2 Mbps and achieved a download speed of 53.6 Mbps and an up speed  of 20.0 Mbps.  Test screenshot attached.  When we put the modem on the end of the cable connected to my laptop and ran a speed test we got 44.16 Mbps down and 18.7 Mbps up.  We tried a second modem with the same results.  He said that the line should give me much higher figures that I was actually getting and suggested that my speeds are being throttled but something in my service profile. I think I can borrow a hub2 from a friend but he seems convinced that it is an ISP problem.

The Openreach engineer was quite eager to find the fault, and spent a lot of time on it explaining to me what he was doing.

Phil

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Phil, cheers for the overview.

I don't want to go against the engineer's efforts or what they've told you, but something doesn't stack up.

Our testing is showing your modem in sync at ~50mbps and as an ISP there really isn't anything we can do to cap a sync speed, unless that's done by the automated software at the cabinet, but looking at the profile "0.128M-80M Downstream, Interleaving Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off", there's no DLM banding showing.

I think it's worth trying your friend's Hub Two if possible and if your sync speed doesn't increase with that, then we should probably arrange another engineer to take a closer look. What do you think? 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@Gandalf I don't doubt what you are saying, and you know more than I do, but if Phil is in sync at ~50Mbps, that is right on the handback threshold, and the BT broadband checker suggests he should be getting much higher sync. Could this be a PN profile error?

John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No, because there's nothing in our network which can influence the sync speed a modem negotiates at with the cabinet. That's purely down to the modem and the Openreach infrastructure. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

OK, twas just a thought, but summat ain't right. 😉

John