Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looks like my problem is back with a vengeance - REIN / SHINE

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Re: Looks like my problem is back with a vengeance - REIN / SHINE

Wow! If not one trial it’s another!! When trying to drain the swamp, you do not need additional alligators.

Given that your objective is to monitor the line’s behaviour … can you remove the alligators of Linux, Draytech router and encryption (it’s all your side of the firewall) by deploying a windows platform and a router compatible with an off the shelf monitor (router stats or xDSL).

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

adbeasley
Grafter

I cannot pull the Draytek out at this time but as the RouterStats program uses SNMP or Telnet the bug in the screen is not an issue (its only the web view not the actual data).

As for Windows - need to find a licence that I can use and sort out if the package still needs IE (I see the 'HUB' version does) or anything else... This may be a mess reading about IE and Edge IE Mode - at least I have some memory and a disk for the machine - now to find a disk mounting bracket (and something to stop me having to use the TV as a monitor)...

Reading through the RouterStats web pages, the sample rate can be handled fine by node-red (even a Pi can fire off the SNMP gets faster than this needs), it's just the four hour graph snapshots that I cannot code currently so may need to drop the data to a database first rather than flat files and then pull that out.

It's a real shame the code is only maintained by one person - at some point its not going to run anymore and the author may leave it frozen at best 😞 Reminds me a one crucial package that ran only on Windows 2000 I had - a real pain.

There is also DSLStats - I have a Pi that was due to be closed down this weekend so I'll give that a run till I can get Windwoes sorted... Who knows, it may run on a VM on the iMac (hmm...)

IT is weird - spent many years using Windows commercially but not at home so 'finding' things to repurpose is an interesting challenge now.

At least the plumber has found and fixed the leak - we have to allow 12-24 hours for the seal to dry and then test it and if that's OK we can have a shower and look to get the bathroom carpet 🙂

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

You can download a windows build image and install it and get it running unlicensed (with restrictions) which should be sufficient to run RS. When you run the image install ensure you are not connected to the internet. Defer the registration process and set up under a local account.

Indeed there are various ways of skinning the cat!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.