bradw
Grafter

Re: Little peak time latency humps

Pings from 22:11 to 22:26 (roughly)
--- bbc.co.uk ping statistics ---
1000 packets transmitted, 1000 received, 0% packet loss, time 1000550ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 17.923/20.409/53.681/3.449 ms
Full ping log here if needed: http://pastebin.com/ZBYkmLkr
Normal ping for bbc.co.uk would be 17-18ms on my (currently interleaved) connection
gary42
Grafter

Some graphs showing missing 'hump'
These are from the line with fixed IP address ending .54
I also have a second line I have just dedicated to failover so should have minimal traffic.
I've added the live BQM to the website link on my profile.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

At what point will all the extra ICMP ping packets start to impact the network performance? ICMP appears to be given titanium (0xa0) classification - obviously you wouldn't want all that web traffic (which gets a lower classification) spoiling people's ping graphs.
bradw
Grafter

ejs, ~64 bytes/s of data is pretty low in the grand scheme of things. Even with every plusnet customer pinging 24/7 every second it shouldn't generate any considerable traffic. Thinkbroadband BQM states 73.63MB/month average (although only 28 byte pings)
ejs
Aspiring Hero

I was thinking less about the size of the packets, more about the number of them. Every customer pinging every second would be an extra 600,000 packets per second to handle. Or 1.2 million if you count both the requests and the replies. What unfortunate destination should we all ping to test this theory?  Tongue
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I usually test pings on bbc.co.uk (well, I do pay a TV license fee to support them)  Roll_eyes
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 6

Quote from: ejs
At what point will all the extra ICMP ping packets start to impact the network performance? ICMP appears to be given titanium (0xa0) classification - obviously you wouldn't want all that web traffic (which gets a lower classification) spoiling people's ping graphs.

A long long time. This graph shows ICMP and NTP traffic (below the line is download, above the line is upload) so it's peaking at less than 15Mbps which is fraction of a percent of overall capacity.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: ejs
.......... What unfortunate destination should we all ping to test this theory?  Tongue

I usually ping 212.159.6.10 just to make sure it's working, but any one of the four would do Lips_are_sealed
Slightly more seriously, as I don't have a TBB monitor running atm, I don't know if the attached helps, on pcl-ag07 20CN, the first is what I was seeing yesterday evening peak, normal pings in the past are more like the later part of the second graph. You can ignore the extreme peak at 2204-2206 & the strange one at 2238-2240 both due to local "activity".
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Here's some ping graphs from where I was away (all PC's off - only the SamKnows monitoring box running). The dates are on the images. I've been on pcl-ag01 throughout.

This one I was away from mid afternoon onwards:

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I have no ping test history before February this year. But the hump is visible then. E.g.:

I was on pcl-ag01 all that day.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Quote from: jelv
I have no ping test history before February this year.

Is the same for me, graph image just won't load before Feb. 1st this year. TBB must have lost them or something.  Roll_eyes
That's RPM to you!!
deathtrap
Grafter

Well that's at least 4 months, and in that time what i wonder has actually been done about it,? I have submitted a ticket regarding this and the associated reduced/erratic  throughput that occurs usually within 1hr of the peak time jitter fest or during it , and although i consider that i have give enough detail to support regarding this they don't agree, for a start ping-plotter pro images are a very useful way of providing  information of tracert and ping combined plus they show jitter levels also, and a ping graph also
But they seem to want less detail ie the rudimentary windows tracert and ping Huh  along with wire shark captures , as im behind a router  does it mean that  i would have to  connect direct to the pc instead  of via the router to show what traffic priority HTTP is being given during peak times, If the answer to that is yes then this would create a problem, as the gateway would change therefore the results i have taken wouldn't be current any longer ,
It seems to me there is far too many obstacles thrown in the way  and hoops to be jumped through in order to get a known issue looked at , not impressed
ejs
Aspiring Hero

A wireshark or similar level traffic capture would show the traffic classification even when behind a router, unless your router modifies that field of the IP header.
deathtrap
Grafter

well HTTP downloads show as being
Differentiated Services Field: 0x80 (DSCP 0x20: Class Selector 4; ECN: 0x00: Not-ECT (Not ECN-Capable Transport))
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Quote from: deathtrap
It seems to me there is far too many obstacles thrown in the way  and hoops to be jumped through in order to get a known issue looked at , not impressed

I've just reviewed your ticket and asked Dave to have a look.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager