Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line drops

PabloBruno
Grafter

Line drops

Hi,

After a recent broadband issue which took a while to resolve, I am now experiencing a few drops in service and would appreciate it being looked at in case this is the start of another lengthy problem.

If anyone could test my line and see why the outages are occurring then it would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

26 REPLIES 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Line drops

Have you tried Plusnet's  troubleshoot by text  service ?

PabloBruno
Grafter

Yes, but all that tells me is that my line is working - which at THAT moment it is.

It would help to find out of there is yet another pattern of outages (there have been two major ones in the last year or two) to see if the problem can be caught before a major one happens.

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, a Plusnet staff member should be able to post a plot of your line drop history.

Have you considered signing up for a free  SamKnows Whitebox ?

With all its automatic line monitoring, one of the plots it can give are your recent line drops.

Here's mine right now -

Screenshot 2023-08-07 at 00-21-24 Dashboard - SamKnows One.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Another useful free tool for monitoring line drops is the ThinkBroadband Broadband Quality Monitor

Here is my plot for yesterday - can you spot when BT Openreach were doing scheduled maintenance at my exchange ?

Screenshot 2023-08-07 at 00-36-00 Broadband Quality Monitor thinkbroadband.png

PabloBruno
Grafter

Rather than using another 3rd party 'tool' I would like the company I pay for providing me with broadband examine why I keep getting outages... yet again.

Can someone test my line and answer the question of why it keep happening please? It would be much appreciated.

PabloBruno
Grafter

Any updates would be much appreciated.

James30
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 26

@PabloBruno - Hiya, here you can see the drops causing you the grief @ http://visualradius.plus.net/visualradius/generated/image16915741039074.png, I'll need to give you a ring so I can go though a few checks of the router setup in your property if you're free?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
James - Plusnet Sheffield
Plusnet Help Team
PabloBruno
Grafter

Hi James,

I'm afraid I am working solidly during the day for the rest of the week so could it be after 18:00 or on Saturday please.

Can I ask why you think it might be the router? The signal is solid other than the short lived drops.

James30
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@PabloBruno - Not really the router but more of where it is and what's near it as anything electrical near it has the potential to cause the drops. Pictures will be Ok instead if you can send on here one of the front, the back and one of the surrounding area of the router. Feel free to send me them on a DM instead if you want as well

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Plusnet Help Team
PabloBruno
Grafter

signal-2023-08-09-140020_002.jpeg

The router is in the corner of the room plugged into an extension cable (together with my PC). The closest electrical thing to it is my pc but that is at least 4-5 feet away.

My PC is linked to it with an ethernet cable. When the drops happened there was no power outage and my PC was stable. That's what makes me think it has nothing to do with the router. However, I will bow to your greater experience and am grateful for any advice.

James30
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Cheers would you mind showing me where the phone socket is too?

Plusnet Help Team
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 77

@PabloBruno 

Looking at the radius graph your session went down around 14:00 Friday 7th and did not come back again sometime after 19:00 Sunday 6th. Then you had intermittent connection drop from then until around 03:00 Monday 7th.

There is a significate number of drops between 00:30 and 03:00 Monday 7th which might suggest some maintenance work on the network, network issues or line issue.

There were further disconnect around 19:00 Monday 7th and then again after 01:00 Tuesday 8th.

Was the Hub turned off between Friday 14:00 and Sunday 19:00, perhaps away for the weekend?

Edit: Have you seen any drops outside of those times?

PabloBruno
Grafter

Yes, the hub was turned off between Friday 14:00 and Sunday 19:00 - I was away.

The connection has been solid since 03:00 Monday.

Is it best for me simply to keep an eye on it seeing as the drops were only over a short-lived period?

PabloBruno
Grafter

signal-2023-08-09-180550_002.jpeg