cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline after switchoff

FIXED
andrewpam1

Landline after switchoff

Hi, i understand there is no option to keep my landline number along with my Hub 2 after the changeover in 18 months or so

There is no phone socket on this router unlike the BT version which has, what will Plusnet do about this, has anything been announced, or will we have to change providers presumably they will just swap us to BT if we want ?

Thanks, Andrew

55 REPLIES 55
Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

Re: Landline after switchoff

@andrewpam1 

At the present time Plusnet have not announced whether they will be offering a VoIP service in the future.

The PSTN is already being switched off in some regions, the end of 2025 is the target for all lines to be moved.

Currently Plusnet do not offer a digital landline with their Full Fibre offering and are pushing SOGEA or broadband without phone on their other broadband services. Anything else is pure conjecture.

Currently if your line is being converted then if you arrange it through Plusnet then you can transfer to BT without incurring any early cancellation charges. Another option is to go to a third part VoIP provider and port your landline over to them. This might sound daunting but in fact it generally works out cheaper than the current landline phone service and there's plenty of advice available on this forum if you ask..

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

WorldMachine
Grafter

This is my situation too. At the moment though my landline phone is with BT, I don't know whether they will contact me to ask I want to continue.  However, do I need to move my landline number to Plusnet so it continues my broadband service, even though there won't be a physical phone to use.  I find it all very confusing.

Baldrick1

@WorldMachine 

Now this is a very interesting situation. You are paying twice at the moment for your landline. It will be future proof and might well be cheaper to move your broadband back to BT.

Moving your landline to Plusnet will result in you either losing it or having to transfer it again in the next couple of years unless Plusnet decide to offer a VoIP service.

Moderator and Customer

WorldMachine
Grafter

My broadband is with Plusnet and has always been with Plusnet since 2011 and I do not wish to go to BT.  

My landline is with BT and has been for 30 years.    My personal circumstances will change over the next few years, so I will go down the road of getting my first mobile phone, so I won't need a landline.  

However, my question is, will my Plusnet broadband still work even though the defunct landline is with BT.  So do I at some point over the next year or so, move my landline to Plusnet, so my broadband still works? 

Baldrick1

@WorldMachine 

If you are not bothered about keeping your landline then move it to Plusnet. It will be cheaper and avoid confusion.

Moderator and Customer

WorldMachine
Grafter

I would have preferred to have kept my landline but there is no choice.  I do use it occasionally.  My question was though will my Plusnet Broadband still work if I just simply stop my BT monthly payment, or do Plusnet need the number, even though there won't be a physical phone?   I.e willI be forced to move my landline number to Plusnet at some point over the next year, so my broadband will continue to work?

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 51

@WorldMachine 

Give the PlusNet Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632 to see what your choices are.

Brian

WorldMachine
Grafter

Yes, will call them next week, as this is an unusual situation.  I did speak to them a while ago about this and they said wait and see if BT offer me a solution.   I don't seem to be able to get an answer to my question about whether I need to transfer the landline number to Plusnet in order for broadband to still work. Maybe Plusnet don't need the number as they must already know what it is in order for it to be working.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@WorldMachine   if BT cancel your phone line, or even move it to their digital voice service, PN will no longer have a phone number or line reference to provide broadband, so that will get cancelled.

Moving your phone to PN should result in you saving money, and give them the problem of how to provide your broadband if/when your phone service stops.

HTH

Baldrick1

@WorldMachine 

Ring to make sure but I believe that on the current system if you cancel the BT landline then this will cancel your Plusnet service. ADSL and FTTC have to have a working landline to work. This is different to the latest SOGEA method of working where the Internet line comes without a phone service.

So in the past you couldn't have broadband without a telephone service, with SOGEA you get Broadband or Full Fibre without a phone service, this being an optional Add On currently unavailable from Plusnet. Little wonder people get confused!

Remember that whilst you will lose the landline sometime in the next couple of years in terms of the connection to the local telephone exchange, you can keep your landline number should you wish. It's just a case of moving it to an ISP that provides both phone and Internet or porting the number out to a VoIP provider.

BT can offer you a solution, this will be to transfer your Plusnet account to them.

Moderator and Customer

WorldMachine
Grafter

This just gets more confusing. I don’t want to pay extra for SOGEA. I understand then that if I cancel my BT contract I will lose my broadband but …..if I transfer my phone to Plusnet In the next year or so, that will keep my broadband going?  Remember that my phone is not currently with Plusnet.  Surely if I transfer the landline to Plusnet that gives them what they need for broadband.  I then get a mobile phone so I’m not without a phone?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 411

.if I transfer my phone to Plusnet In the next year or so,

AIUI you will not be able to transfer the phone after Sept this year . Openreach are implementing a WLR (wholesale line rental) stop sell Sept 2023

See here https://www.openreach.co.uk/cpportal/products/the-all-ip-programme/stopsell-updates

You will be able to continue with any existing provision but it will not be possible to transfer a landline phone service after Sept.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1

@WorldMachine 

That’s correct. If you transfer your phone to Plusnet then all should be well. However, after 5th September this year there will be a stop sell on traditional analogue landlines. I have read that this also applies to phone transfers so you may need to do this sooner rather than later.

Moderator and Customer

WorldMachine
Grafter

Thank you I feel as though I’m beginning to get somewhere. So I need to transfer my landline to Plusnet pretty quickly.  Is this done remotely, will my broadband have to be switched off at all?  Also do Plusnet let BT know so BT stop taking money from me?