Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just Joined from Virgin but slow speeds

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Just Joined from Virgin but slow speeds

It might take days for the profile to update.
Can you post the router stats please?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MrG
Grafter

Hi Townman
Are these the ones that you want?
Upstream 448
Downstream 704
SNR Margin(Upstream) 15.0
SNR Margin(Downstream) 15.3
Line Attenuation(Upstream) 31.5
Line Attenuation(Downstream) 63.5
Let me know if you need anything specific
Thanks
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

The DS Margin has gone back to 15 possibly, it would need a CRT member from Plusnet to check.....or you are suffering intermittent noise on your line. Has that 7800N got the ability to drop the PPP session? I don't recall but will explain why in a moment.
Anotherone
Champion

Earlier in this thread I would have said the 2704n might have been faulty, after you put your Billion BiPac 7300G on-line, but I would have left it alone after that to let things stabilise, especially as it was mentioned that the line ILQ was Red, DLM would act unfavourably if upset.
Now I'm not so sure what  may be going on, DLM may have acted, it may be noise. Whatever you do right now, don't reboot or disconnect it from the line. Until we know or get an idea what has happened.
Is the Quiet Line Test still clean? Was this a brand new Billion 7800N or second hand, just new to you? It's a modem/router I would have chosen a while back, but not these days, I hope you didn't pay a lot for it!
At the moment I'm puzzling as to why you had a 15dB margin with the 2704n and now with the 7800N when the Target previously was 9dB.
Anyway, certainly a time not to be hasty. An updated xDSL status report from CRT would certainly suggest what the next move might be.
Edit: I'm not too sure why Townman was so concerned about your "high" sync speed especially considering what you had when on Virgin. I certainly wouldn't be concerned. Perhaps he'd like to ponder this one - 7904kbps on a 20CN 3km line!
MrG
Grafter

Hi Anotherone
I did leave the 7300 connected for a few days and the DS went back up to 1.67Mbps, which is probably more or less all the line is capable of (about 6km length on a 20CN exchange)
I thought that upgrading to the 7800 would offer the ability to tweak the SNR, not that it may make much improvement.
The quiet line test is very clean.  The 7800 came off eBay (where else!) for not a lot of money.
If CRT could give any further advice, I'd be grateful.
In the meantime, I'll leave the 7800 on in the hope that the speed will improve over the next few days.
Anotherone
Champion

The speed won't improve by itself in the next few days. I wouldn't like to suggest doing anything until we know what the xDSL status is.
MrG
Grafter

Plusnet - Please could you advise on this
Thanks
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

The line is on a 15db target and the ILQ is red so that won't be going anywhere in a hurry.
I've attached a screenshot of the status check.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Anotherone
Champion

Thank you Matthew, is the line in a 10day training at present? Not that I'd suggest a Reset yet, if it isn't.
That MTBE is an issue  Shocked Shocked
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Quote from: Matthew
the ILQ is red so that won't be going anywhere in a hurry.

Hi Matthew,
Is there a resolution plan for this please?  As I've noted elsewhere the figures reported on this line are not consistent.  Does this issue need a poke with a sharp stick?
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion

I doubt that Matthew would have any quick answers to that Kevin.
@MrG
I think the best approach here would be to do some more detailed monitoring to have a look at what your SNRM is doing, if you are up for that?
Also do some more Quiet Line Tests. Have you had any problems with incoming calls at all? eg. the phone rings and then stops but the caller is there when you pick up?
MrG
Grafter

Hi All
I'm getting really confused now.
From my post of 5th June with the Billion 7300G router and BTW Speetest
Download speed achieved during the test was - 1.67 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.4 Mbps-2 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :2.18 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 1.75 Mbps
It had been like this right up until I decided to put the 7800N in yesterday
From BTW Speedtest today with the Billion 7800N router
Download speed achieved during the test was - 0.49 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.05 Mbps-0.5 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :0.7 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 0.5 Mbps
So has this changed so dramatically just because I've swapped routers?  Is there something wrong with the 7800 and should I put the 7300 back in?
The quiet line test is completely clean and the phone is as clear as a bell.
Help!

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

@Anotherone
From what I can see it isn't in a training period at the moment. Based on what I can see DLM increased the target noise margin to 15db at around 2pm. I've attached a view of yesterday over 24 hours showing the SNRm and the sync speed.
@Townman
We need a bit more further info from the OP in my opinion. From what I can make out the line was severely erroring when it was connected at 2.18mbps which will have forced DLM to take action. Now the target is at 15db the meantime in errors is increasing although that won't have reflected on my last test as it can take 24 hours.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
MrG
Grafter

Sorry Anotherone, our posts crossed.
Yes, I can confirm that the phone is operating perfectly normally with no dropped calls or interference.
The only thing that has happened is that I had an email from Plusnet this morning telling me that my phone service was now with them.  Surely that wouldn't cause this problem?
I'm more than happy to do further SNRM monitoring
I assume that this is the page from the router that you are interested in?
Upstream 448
Downstream 704
SNR Margin(Upstream) 15.0
SNR Margin(Downstream) 15.8
Line Attenuation(Upstream) 31.5
Line Attenuation(Downstream) 63.5
Thanks for your help
Anotherone
Champion

Thanks for that info Matthew, that's most helpful. It certainly shows that something is causing a lot of variation in the SNRM.
Whether anything in particular happened at 2pm - eg. a phone call, or it was just DLM deciding the errors were too high, remains to be seen.
Your line ILQ was on Red which means if DLM was to do anything it would be detrimental rather than favourable.
There is a DS MTBE (Mean Time Between Errors) of 1 second, that's really bad. There may be interference of some sort causing this, or there is the possibility that the 7800N is faulty, but as the MTBE was 1 before you put it on the 2704n would have to have been faulty as well  -  possible but less likely.