cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this my line or just Plusnet in general?

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: Is this my line or just Plusnet in general?

OK, @adamwalker , not my issue, but until the OP comes back with more information, I'm keeping quiet.

John
ashyt16
Grafter

Something doesn't tie up, I get more disconnects, or what I construe as disconnects, than what I can see here.
I'm not sure this is showing the full picture. How do these markers work? To show a marker does it need a complete disconnect between router and exchange equipment?
What about if it's just a complete slow down.

I doubt it's the router as I get the same issue with Plusnet router, Open reach modem and Asus router and my current Netget router.

When it happens everything suffers, so it's not just a particular device.
We quite often notice it on YouTube. When it starts it's constant buffering.
Sometimes the connection doesn't come back and I have to reboot the router, sometimes more than once to get it to reconnect and sync as you can see from the diagnostics.
As pointed out you can see the big gaps, that isn't me. I don't turn the router off except to reboot it.

If anyone has any suggestions how to properly monitor this I can, problem is the Netgear router is all but useless at providing a proper log.

My previous Asus router did log disconnections when on ADSL, but not sure if it will log the same connected to the Open reach router.
jab1
Legend

@ashyt16 Those drops are true DSL drops - that is what the Visual Radius is designed to show. I suspect these other perceived and actual disconnections are somehow connected to your own internal equipment, but as every users environment is different, it is difficult to pin them down. It could be your own internal wiring, or the way you use the connections - very difficult to say.

Without going back to the start of this thread, have you tried connecting a laptop/desktop to the router via ethernet, and seeing if the same occurs?

Sadly, I can't offer a suggestion to monitor the issue - the only program I am aware of does not work with VDSL equipment.

John
ashyt16
Grafter

This has been going on since 2018 since it was installed. I've had various issues, even engineers have been out and found actual faults.
Last one we lost everything including phone.
The last engineer did say the wiring at the box wasn't the best and may need more serious work, but after some messing came back and said he'd tried something and managed to get it working. No idea how though.

Also I doubt it's internal as that has been checked on 2 previous occasions by the engineers and the last one even replaced the faceplate for a newer one.

I'm also sceptical on it being internal. I've tried everything I could including connecting via ethernet.
I've tried everything I could with the routers. Plusnet router was terrible, so swapped it for the Openreach modem and Asus router(proven to be rock solid previously). The situation improved, but not completely. Then I decided to splash out on an the all singing and dancing Nighthawk router. Again things seemed to improve slightly, but the issue was still there.
I've tried alsorts of settings in the router, no change.
After the second engineer i sort of gave up with it and accepted it.
However lately things have been getting annoyingly worse.

I just think it's a wiring issue at the box and it's not showing itself on the diagnosistics.
jab1
Legend

If the same occurred on Ethernet-connected equipment, then I think you may be correct in saying it is an external problem. If an engineer has called your local cab 'shabby', have you by any chance asked neighbours if they have had problems, as they too would have been affected?

John
ashyt16
Grafter

The next door neighbour we talk to previously only had ADSL which was pitiful (2mbps) as Talk Talk told them they couldn't have Fibre even though we'd had it for a few years.
After finding this out they cancelled with Talk Talk and have just recently had BT fibre installed according to the missus.
I've not had chance to discuss if their connection is the same.

Also it's not as if it's a distance of device from router issue as the router is literally a few metres away through one internal wall.

jab1
Legend

Would be interesting to hear your neighbours comments, but is it possible to talk to others in the area? To be honest, if it is a BT infrastructure issue, as it is beginning to appear it is, I doubt they will do anything unless a large number of users complain - via their ISPs, as BT will not deal directly with end-users.

John
ashyt16
Grafter

We don't really live that close to other neighbours so don't really communicate.
I'll get the missus to speak to the ones we do next door.

I also fear it's just a case of like it or lump it. The rubbish speed I can handle, but the constant connection drops are just annoying.

Incidentally we used to sync at 24mbps, but after the last episode where we completely lost phone and internet it dropped permanently to 19mbps and lately the upload has dropped from 1.7mbps to 1.4mbps, so I know something is up.

I suppose I'm just venting frustration here as I know not a lot can or will be done.

I appreciate your input though and the Plusnet reps for at least taking a look.

jab1
Legend

As I said previously, you are a long way from your VDSL cab, which doesn't help. No idea where you live, but I know my sister used to live in the wilds of Derbyshire, with overhead wire connections of 3+ miles to her local exchange, and VDSL around her property was even lower than yours - despite the VDSL cab being just across the road. She also suffered from atrocious connection speed - on ADSL, because she was unprepared to pay VDSL prices for the connection speed she would have received.

John
ashyt16
Grafter

Can I ask how you know how far we are from the exchange? Is it the connection statistics?

In any case you are right about the distance.
What puzzles me is that my missus can spend ages yammering on the phone and not suffer any issues with the connection, but the internet does, even though they are obviously using the same line.

It makes me laugh when I see people complaining that their 100mbps connection has dropped a few Mbps. They don't know how lucky they are.
jab1
Legend

Your 'Line attenuation' gives a good guide to distance from the VDSL cab, and yours is quite high. Which phone are you talking about - land-line or mobile? In either case though, they use different tech to the broadband connection, which is not so severely affected by distance, although mobile reception will be affected by distance from the mast you are 'connected' to.

John
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @ashyt16, thanks for all the information that you have provided. I have taken a look at this and testing the line isn't highlighting anything that could be causing the drops. Though stable for the last couple of days, I can see there's been a few disconnects with it sometimes being down for a while and so think it's best we get you out an engineer to take a further look at this, would that be OK?

If so, I'll just need your availability Smiley If you can reply on the ticket here: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=224711639 or the text sent and let me know when done, I'll pick that up for you. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
ashyt16
Grafter

Hi Lauren, we have received the text thanks. Greatful for this, but will we get charged?

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

You won't be charged for an engineer visit Smiley 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
ashyt16
Grafter

That's great, we'll get it booked. Really appreciate the help.

Thank you.