cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet is unbearably slow, customer service not helping.

Pesmerga
Dabbler

Internet is unbearably slow, customer service not helping.

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me with my issue.

For four or five days now, we've had an unbearably slow internet connection. It's taking around 10 minutes to load an Internet page, I cannot log on to my game because the connection is almost nonexistent. Customer service, as always, just tell me to do the same stuff over and over. This is the second time they've reset my line and said to wait 10 days for the connection to stabilise. The first time they did it, it made a difference. This time it has done absolutely nothing. The Facebook customer support send me maybe one message a day and I have to wait until the next day for another reply so they're actually useless, and when I can actually get on to the customer support on the website (it says it's unavailable most of the time) I'm just told the same old [-Censored-] which isn't their fault but at the same time, doesn't help me. Last night I tried everything I could think of. I restarted the router, did a factory reset, unplugged everything and suddenly, we had a good connection all night. Great, I thought. I had fixed it. Then today I woke up and here we are again, with the same awful connection. Back in the 56k dialup modem days, my connection was faster. I'm actually sick of Plusnet now and their awful service so I want to leave but I have another 3 months on my contract sadly, and I know internet providers are greedy and selfish and they'll expect me to stay for the remainder of my contract or pay a ridiculous early leaving fee which we can't afford. Can anyone think of a solution to my problem? We're absolutely sick of not being able to do anything on the Internet and paying for nothing. Thanks in advance!!
26 REPLIES 26
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Internet is unbearably slow, customer service not helping.

@Pesmerga Welcome to the forums.

From what you have posted, you certainly have a problem!

I assume you have read the ADSL - speed faults sticky towards the top of this board, and I am aware you won't be able to carry out any worthwhile speed tests, but a couple of things may help (1) Have you tried the quiet line test on your phone? - a noisy phoneline will inhibit broadband. (2) Can you post your router stats (removing any personal information).

If we have that information, maybe we can help or advise on here.

John
Pesmerga
Dabbler

Hi, I just typed out a long message as a reply to your comment and then after waiting 10 minutes, I got an authentication error and it wouldn't post. This is ridiculous.

First of all, thanks for replying. I'm not sure how I can get the information you requested but I just tried calling my mobile and not answering. The line was very slightly static but could hear the dial tone and such.

Here's a picture of what I have to stare at for ages whenever I try to load a page.
jab1
Legend

OK, I understand your frustration, but like you, I am just another customer trying to help.

I notice from your screenshot that you are using a mobile phone to access the internet. Wat happens if you use 3G/4G rather than Wi-fi?

If you have a desktop/laptop, it would be an idea to try that, but I don't think it will make much difference, although you could rule out wi-fi problems by connecting to the router via ethernet cable.

As regards the phone quiet line test, you actually need to dial 17070 and select option 2 - using the landline rather than the mobile.

The thread I referred you to will tell you how to get the router details (which is it, btw?).

I'm out for the rest of today, but if no-one else picks this up, I'll have  a look either when I get back, or early tomorrow.

John
Pesmerga
Dabbler

Oh sorry, I didn't mean to sound frustrated with you. I really appreciate the time you're taking to help me. I'm just frustrated with the internet not working.

In my village, 3G/4G isn't available unfortunately, so I can't test it. Just drove out to our local supermarket so I can use their WiFi.

We don't have a working computer but I do play PS4 using an ethernet cable and it's the exact same situation unfortunately. I actually wouldn't mind as much if it was just WiFi because we'd still have games, Netflix, etc.

Ohh ok. I'll try that when I get back. Sorry about that, not very good with this kind of thing.

Ok when I get home I'll perform that test and then get you the details.

Again, I'm so sorry if I sounded annoyed with you. Just so angry about the situation, and I really appreciate your help.
Pesmerga
Dabbler

Ok I got back home and did the quiet line test and it just kept being silent and then the woman would say "Quiet line test" after each bout of silence. I put it down after a while. Not sure if I was supposed to keep listening or not but if it's just a case of listening for interference, there doesn't seem to be any.

I went to that thread and tried to click the link and it just took me to a bunch of help topics that do nothing when I click them due to my terrible connection.
jab1
Legend

@Pesmerga wrote:
Oh sorry, I didn't mean to sound frustrated with you. I really appreciate the time you're taking to help me. I'm just frustrated with the internet not working.
I understand - I get frustrated, too, but luckily I have had 30-odd years experience of computers, so can usually work out where things are going wron, at least on my own system.
In my village, 3G/4G isn't available unfortunately, so I can't test it. Just drove out to our local supermarket so I can use their WiFi.
Yuk - that must be terrible, but don't worry.
We don't have a working computer but I do play PS4 using an ethernet cable and it's the exact same situation unfortunately. I actually wouldn't mind as much if it was just WiFi because we'd still have games, Netflix, etc.

Ohh ok. I'll try that when I get back. Sorry about that, not very good with this kind of thing.

Ok when I get home I'll perform that test and then get you the details.

Again, I'm so sorry if I sounded annoyed with you. Just so angry about the situation, and I really appreciate your help.

As regards the quiet line test, you did OK - it will keep on repeating for quite a while, but you only need to listen until you get the 'quiet line test' message. That at least rules out a voice fault.

Can you tell us which router you are using - if you are on ADSL it will be either the 2704N or the TG582N.

Do you happen to have a spare filter you could try? It may not make any difference, but they can go 'bad'.

Finally, for now, can you find your 'current line speed' - click on the red 'here' in the last line of the topic I pointed you at earlier, you will be prompted to enter your user name and password - these are the ones you use to access your account, not the ones you use for the forums.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Hi @Pesmerga,

Here are some links to the information @jab1 requested ... which might assist you.

How is your line performing?

Please post your router stats; for PN TG582n and 2704n routers use the buttons below, for other routers look at the Kitz link.

Also run a BT Wholesale speed test (ideally using an Ethernet wired PC with the WiFi turned off) then run the further diagnostics and post the results here. DO NOT REBOOT the router!

Also find your CURRENT SPEED (PlusNet line profile) from the PlusNet user portal - you will need to log in.

@CRT,

Can you please post a VR plot and what does the line's error history show please?

@jab1 - Unless the user is on 20CN or they have a fixed IP address, the PN Profile will no longer have any bearing on operations - if I correctly understand recent advice around here.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

Thanks for popping in @Townman - I was going to request your assistance when I'd seen @Pesmerga's next reply. Smiley

You pre-empted me as regards @crt intervention - that was also going to be in my next reply.

Ooops - forgot about the profile thing Embarrassed - but I still wonder, merely because the OP says they have no 3G/4G coverage, if they are 'out in the sticks'. Obviously, without knowing their exchange, we're guessing.

John
Pesmerga
Dabbler

Hi guys. Thanks again for replying. Sorry for the late reply but been busy with the kids then trying to reply to this for about an hour. Townman I'm not sure if you said not to reboot it just for that test (which sadly I can't perform, I have no working PC) or in general but I've rebooted it several times because once I reboot I get the occasional minute or two where I can actually use the internet. It's a nightmare.

It's the 2704n I'm using. I clicked that link you provided, Townman. Are the stats the ones on the Helpdesk section?

Sorry, I'm really not good at this stuff at all.
Pesmerga
Dabbler

Also I logged in to the portal and I can't see where the current speed would be.

Since my last post, internet connection /speed is actually normal, but I know this won't change. Every now and then I'll get maybe half an hour where it's decent.
Pesmerga
Dabbler

Just went back over replies and saw something about using a filter, too. I'm sorry to ask silly questions but I'm not even sure what that is haha. Aaand internet is back to being trash again. Had 10 minutes I guess. Haha.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Yes, the stats from the help desk.

You should try to avoid booting the router more than absolutely essential - the exchange will see this as instability any the slow the rate down in an attempt to attain stability.

Yes the current speed is nigh impossible to navigate to - that's why I provided the link.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

@Pesmerga wrote:
Hi guys. Thanks again for replying. Sorry for the late reply but been busy with the kids then trying to reply to this for about an hour. Townman I'm not sure if you said not to reboot it just for that test (which sadly I can't perform, I have no working PC) or in general but I've rebooted it several times because once I reboot I get the occasional minute or two where I can actually use the internet. It's a nightmare.

It's the 2704n I'm using. I clicked that link you provided, Townman. Are the stats the ones on the Helpdesk section?

Sorry, I'm really not good at this stuff at all.

OK @Pesmerga - no problem, we're here to help if we can.

I understand what you mean about rebooting to get a connection, BUT it is not advisable - constant reboots will appear  to the automated DLM (Dynamic Line Management) as bad connection, and it will reduce your speed/increase the SNR to compensate.

Sorry - didn't see @Townman had replied.

John
Pesmerga
Dabbler

Alright, I'll try not to. It's just the only thing that seems to temporarily improve my connection, even if it for a few minutes.

Stats are as follows:

1 - Product name:Plusnet Router
2 - Serial number:N7160211B002292 
3 - Firmware version:7.275.2_F2704N_Plusnet
4 - Board version:F@ST2704N
5 - ModeADSL
6 - Uptime:0 days 00:23:44
7 - Data rate:444/15285
8 - Maximum data rate:1212/16540
9 - Noise margin:31.6/6.3
10 - Line attenuation:13.6/28.5
12 - Data sent/received:28.3M/6.9M
21 - Wi-Fi network/SSID:PLUSNET-TMMNGK22 - Wi-Fi connections:Enable(802.11 b/g/n(up to 144 Mb/s))20 MHz WPS enabled
23 - Wi-Fi security:WPA2
24 - Wi-Fi channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
25 - Firewall:Default
26 - MAC Address:90:72:82:37:74:57
27 - Software variantVersion 1.0
28 - Boot loader:7.275.2

Oh sorry!! When I clicked that link, it took me to the main page after I logged in. Just clicked it again and since I was already logged in, it took me to the correct page.

Phone exchange:TICKHILL
Estimated line speed:13Mb (This may vary between 12Mb and 15.5Mb) - Checked on 2017-09-09 10:39:28
Current line speed:13.4 Mb