cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet explorer wont work with new router

debandstu

Internet explorer wont work with new router

I was wondering if someone can help. 
Due to the Thomson router not supporting VPN I bought a belkin 54 wireless modem router.  When I try to use the Belkin set up assistant everything works ok apart from the plusnet info. I have double checked the info on the assistant with plusnet and it is the same - username, ppoa etc.  I then went to Belkin for help and followed their instructions to reboot the router.  This has worked, and says I am connected, however Internet Explorer will not work.  I think it must still be the plusnet side which is preventing things working
Can anyone offer any additional advice?
4 REPLIES 4
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Internet explorer wont work with new router

Hi debandstu,
I can see you're online at the moment according to your connection logs so we know that there's no issues with your connection. There may just be an issue with your settings in internet explorer.
Try going to tools>internet options> connections, then ensure you have the dot in 'never dial a connection'
Once you've done that go to "LAN settings" and make sure you only have a ticket in "automatically detect settings"
Failing that let us know. You might want to check your firewall is doing what it should too.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
debandstu

Thanks Adam.  We are conencted at the moment - but back with the Thomson router which was provided by plusnet.  Unfortunately we have had to buy a Belkin one as the Thomson router does not support VPN.  I will try what you suggested and fingers crossed!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 416

hi debandstu,
Your VPN problem on the Thomson router (TG585) is probably the firmware issue.
VPN ( PPTP ) doesnt work on f/w version 8.2.23.0 , you need to upgrade to 8.2.6.5 , see here
http://community.plus.net/library/hardware/how-to-upgradedowngrade-the-firmware-on-the-thomson-585v7...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

debandstu,
Let us know if you want any help or assistance with MisterW's recommendation there. That may very well help but do let us know if you feel that the Thomson router isn't right for your needs.
Adam.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team