cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet dropping constantly and unable to connect devices

Joe1929
Hooked

Internet dropping constantly and unable to connect devices

For weeks I've been having problems with my Plusnet broadband. I've had a BT Homehub 4 and the same Plusnet package for years without issues, but for some reason a couple of months ago the internet became super slow and then my laptop and tablet kept saying they had no internet at all. The hub itself was mainly showing a blue light but did seem to sort of reset several times an hour and cycle round showing red and orange lights before settling back on blue.

I re-entered the password on the admin settings for the router and that seemed to bring the internet back but at unbearably slow speeds, e.g. it can take up to a minute for a page to load and often the images can't load at all but display alt text. The tablet still isn't able to connect to the internet, and while the laptop now does (but too slowly to be usable) it's also displaying a message about how the Homehub password is unsafe.

I'm not sure what to do to get the internet working normally again or what's causing the issue at all. If anyone's experienced anything similar or has ideas on how to fix this I'd be really grateful for some help.

11 REPLIES 11
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Internet dropping constantly and unable to connect devices

How is your phone line - is it working - is it quiet? Dial 17070 option 2.

Have you reported a fault?

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

@Joe1929 I think @Mustrum has asked the two important questions, but I have another - are you really on ADSL or FTTC?

John
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Hi  John @jab1  HH4 is ADSL only, so unless the OP is running behind a modem then it will be ADSL.

However it appears they don't want help as no reply!

jab1
Legend

Cheers @Mustrum - should have realised. OP may be having problems, so  we'll see if he comes back.

John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there,

I'm really sorry to see your broadband's dropping and running very slow.

I've tested your line today and I can see that your speed as dropped to max of 288 kbps which is artificially restricted by the automated dynamic line management software at exchange, due to the frequent drops.

Looking at a picture showing your connection below, there's certainly a distinct pattern:

Based on the pattern and your Homehub's playing up in other ways, I'd be tempted to look at replacing the router as the next step. If you're happy with this, let me know and I'll get a new router ordered for you. 

Once we've got to the bottom of the issue and your broadband's stopped dropping, we'll need to manually reset your line to remove that artificial speed restriction, but let me know first what your thoughts are replacing the router? 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Joe1929
Hooked

Hi,

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and sorry for the slow replies. Sometimes the pages load on my laptop but often they end up timing out, so I'm struggling to get online right now.

@jab1 @Mustrum I'll try the phoneline suggestion first thing tomorrow and report back. I did get a new phone a month or so ago. Maybe that could have affected something? The new devices are plugging into the exact same sockets as the old phones did though.

@Gandalf Thanks for running those tests. I'd be very happy to have a new router sent if that is possible. Please let me know if I need to do anything to organise this.

Thanks all again for your speedy replies and help.

Joe

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi Joe,

I've sent you a new router now you should get within the next few days. I've also reset your line to try to speed things up in the meantime, but if your connection carries on dropping the way it is, it's likely to slow down again. 

Fingers crossed the new router helps, but let me know how it goes. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Joe1929
Hooked

Hi @Gandalf,

Thanks so much for sending the router. I had to get some family help to set it up but it's working now. It still seems a bit slow, and someone tried a speed test for me and said the download was 5mb and upload 1mb. Is thats the sort of speed i should expect or do you think the line is still running slower than it should?

Thanks,

Joe
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@Joe1929 

Have you checked recently to see what's available at your address.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL 

Brian

jab1
Legend

@Joe1929 wrote:
Hi @Gandalf,

Thanks so much for sending the router. I had to get some family help to set it up but it's working now. It still seems a bit slow, and someone tried a speed test for me and said the download was 5mb and upload 1mb. Is thats the sort of speed i should expect or do you think the line is still running slower than it should?

Thanks,

Joe

@Joe1929 No offence, but I'm guessing you are not an expert when it comes to the internet? If possible , could you get someone to run through the below 'Help' and report back - I'm kind of guessing here that the massive disconnection rate earlier has somewhat 'jinxed' your connection. Results from the tests requested will determine the required action(s).

For Community members to be able to help, information from these two sites, as screenshots:-

BT Broadband(obscuring your phone number) and BTW Performance Tester - Over a wired (ethernet) connection if at all possible, please report the 'ADDITIONAL DIAGNOSTICS', and sight of the broadband connection status from your Hub would be a good starting point.

For the Hub One -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Troubleshooting > Helpdesk

For the Hub Two -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Advanced Settings > Technical Log > Information

John
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hey @Joe1929, it looks like the line was banded (will have been caused by those drops) so I have now reset the line to remove this for you. 

Testing my side now shows a sync of 15mb, let me know how things go!

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team