cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent internet loss

division72

Intermittent internet loss

I seem to keep losing my internet connection. This has happened intermittantly, usually every few weeks, or couple of months. But yesterday it dropped off twice. This has been going on for a long time, even with my previous provider. I check everything, but the only thing that I've found that works is to switch the ADSL filter for another (I have two). That brings the internet back on. But the next time it happens, I switch the filters back again, and then it starts working again. So, I'm pretty sure the filters aren't faulty. It also seems to happen more often when the weather is [-Censored-]. It was gloomy, rainy and quite windy here in Birmingham. Is it possible that could effect it?

4 REPLIES 4
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Intermittent internet loss

Sorry to hear you're experiencing connection problems.

While our tests aren't showing the cause of the issue, the line quality is showing as very poor.

Are you switching your router off when you're not using it? As that may not be helping things.

It may also be worth trying the steps Here letting us know how it goes.

Lastly is there any noise on your line when you dial 17070 from a home phone handset?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
division72

Hello Gandalf,

Thanks for replying.

I only switch the router off during the night while in bed. Usually 7.30am until midnight, sometimes half past.

I've carried out all of the steps you mentioned, and I haven't experienced any difference.

I've done a speed test, and get a dowload of 1.88mb and an upload of 0.55mb.

Doing the noise test by ringing 17070, there was no audible noise, but the automated message gave me the number [Removed](?)

I'm thinking that the best thing is to get onto BT to get them to look at the line.

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

Moderator's note by Adie (Dvorak) phone number removed. 

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@division72

I would try leaving the router on at night, to see if it makes a difference.

The 17070 automated message looks like your landline number, so being personal details I would remove from a public forum ASAP or maybe a mod can do it?

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @division72 

Are you still turning your router off at night? 

As @Alex & @Gandalf said - could you please try leaving it on for us? 

Thanks