cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Profile 250kbps!

markirv

IP Profile 250kbps!

Whats the best way to increase the IP profile?
The last few days connection speed has been absolutely crawling along even tho the line rate is between 2-3.7mb, my IP Profile seems to be stuck at 250kbps and my god it shows.
I thought this would increase again after a couple of days but doesnt seem to be moving at all. Is this a BT Issue or can PN change it?
Should I try turning off and on the router or will this just set it back again?
Any help will be much appreciated.

P.S I went through a set of tests yesterday and the results (and extra info from me) were sent to support but I havent heard anything back.

BT TEST RESULTS TODAY-
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 3936 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 250 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 144 kbps
13 REPLIES 13
James
Grafter

Re: IP Profile 250kbps!

Hi Mark,
Do nothing.
If you hold that sync speed, the IP Profile should increase within 24 hours.  It'll be a good idea to checfk that you're not getting disconnections though and that's likely to have caused the drop in the first place.
markirv

Thanks I'll give that a try. I was having problems with a faulty router 3 or 4 days ago and thats probably caused the drop.
Thought it would have been increased by now as its been stable for around 3 days.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

James, can you see any drops in the logs for the last three days? If not the difference between 250kbps and his current sync of 3936kbps means his IP Profile should have gone up a lot quicker than 3 days!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
markirv

The connection has been pretty stable for a couple of days apart from droppings a number of times during a thunderstorm yesterday around 4-5pm. Hasnt dropped since.

IP profile for your line is - 250 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 194 kbps

Using a speed test it goes straight to 200kbps and doesnt dip during the test..which suggests its being held back significantly. Its becoming a nightmare at these speeds, and I have to say the customer service from PN is really poor. I havent even had a reply to my information sent 2 days ago
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The IP Profile set by BT is the throttle. While that is so low there is no point in running speed tests, that is the absolute limit (including overheads) so the result of a speed test will always be less than your IP Profile.
If your router is prone to dropping during Thunderstorms it would be best if you turned it off. You sync at a low speed and down goes your IP Profile again - and you start the three day count to get it back up again.
There is supposed to be some BT blip logic which should ignore a one off low speed sync (e.g. a thunderstorm), but it obviously hasn't worked for you.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
itsme
Grafter

Keep up  Wink
With effect from Aug 2007, BT will introduce "Adaptive Max Logic" which will replace both the 3 day system and Blip logic. This should be of benefit to those who have suffered from an unusually low sync, although smaller increases will take a bit longer.

~ What is "Adaptive Max Logic"?
•Decreases in sync speed will still reflect in the IP profile within 75 mins.
•Increases in sync speed will depend on the percentage of the increase and will vary between a few hours and up to 5 days.
A large % increase in sync speed should see the IP profile rise within 4-6 hours, whilst a small increase may take up to 5 days before the IP profile reflects the change. BT estimates that under "Adaptive Max Logic" more than 60% of increases will now occur before they would on the old 3 day system.
Examples:-
1. - Large increase - Line dropped to a 576 sync during a thunderstorm (profile = 500), after a resync it went back up to 7616 (profile 6500). Profile increase = 6000/500 *100 = 1200% increase which should occur in 4-6 hours.
2. - Small increase - Sync increase from 7616 (profile 6500) to 8128 (profile 7150) after interleaving removed. Profile increase = 650/6500*100 = 10% which may not take effect for 5 days.

So if the OP router has maintain the same sync speed then the profile should have been changed after a few hours.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 403

What is "Adaptive Max Logic"?

A figment of someone's imagination perhaps ?
Has anyone actually seen it work in practice ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

itsme
Grafter

Yes, seem to work okay for me on the ADSL2+ trial. Have had a couple of increased updates to my profile within 12 hours and a couple after 3 days.
markirv

Well its been a few days now....and sync still at nearly 4000kbps with no line drops for over 28hrs yet im still stuck on IP Profile of 250
I would have thought the IP profile should be inching up by now? 
Seriously unimpressed with Plusnet email help too..havent even bothered to reply after 2 days.  If things dont improve in the next day or two I might think of switching to another provider.
Can it seriously take up to 5 days for there to be any movement in the Profile and is there nothing Plusnet can do at there end?
Mark
markirv

Ive just done another BT Test-
    IP profile for your line is - 3000 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 46 kbps

IP Profile has miraculously zoomed up to 3000k...but what does the 'Actual IP throughput' mean?  Again on any Speed tests im getting constant 250kbps, so something is still holding it back.

Any help gratefully accepted.
Mark
pierre_pierre
Grafter

a) the BT through put speed is notoriously flaky it is better to use http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/
B) BT has just upped their Profile, you are still restricted by PN's profile, that will be altered to match BT's normally within 12 hours
markirv

Thanks Pierre.

Just turned the router on and off, and all seems well so far.  Speed around 3000 so thats great.
Hopefully it will stay like this as browsing and trying to work online at a snails pace was driving me nuts.
Thanks to everyone who helped.
Mark
James
Grafter

Glad to hear things are back to normal Mark.