cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many people are using the upto 8mbps?

curati
Grafter

How many people are using the upto 8mbps?

I've been thinking about asking plus net to upgrade me for a while, but I remember so many people on the old forum saying how useless it was, and how the connection became slower after the upgrade. 
I decided at the time that as I was reasonably happy with the service to hold onto what I had until all the gremlins had been sorted out.  Just wondered how things were going now. 
Thanks for your help
22 REPLIES 22
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: How many people are using the upto 8mbps?

Have you read through this forum as there are quite a few threads relating to problems being experienced on Max.
I suspect a very high proportion of users are now on a Max connection and contrary to the number of speed related issues, it is generally much better now than it was when first released.
Every line is different so its impossible to tell if you will have any problems. Posting your line stats may give a clue as to what to expect.
Generally, bad quality lines or lines that are further away tending to have more issues than those close to the exchange. That is the nature of ADSL and Max.
curati
Grafter

where do i find my line stats?
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

What ADSL equipment do you use?
Line stats are line attenuation and SNR (Signal to Noise) or Noise Margin and can usually be found on your routers status page or on some USB modems..
Line stats from common routers and USB modems can be found here.
Will
Grafter

I get 5Mb over my previous fixed 2Mb service so much better for me.
curati
Grafter

WAN                45792 Packets  21182 Packets
LAN                 12409 Packets 28674 Packets
WIRELESS 11g 16263 Packets 44574 Packets
is this the information?
i'm using a d-link di-624 if that helps.
fluffylovecheek

After some initial problems (a bit more serious than those they warn about-I completely lost my phone line for 4 days!) I now get 3.5-4.2 Mbps compared to my old 2.2
Happy
nadger
Rising Star

I switched to Max, from 2Mb fixed, when I migrated from Pipex to PlusNet 2 months ago.
After a fair amount of fluctuation IP profile settled at 3000 Kbps and connection has been up for 28 days.
Overall it means a 50% increase in up/down speeds so a worthwhile gain - I'm about 3.4 Km, wire distance, from exchange.
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
In terms of stability and faults Max is much much more stable now than it was, say a year ago.
What speed are you getting now? Do you know what your line stats are? We should be able to give you a good idea of whether it's worth switching with this info.
pjemmanuel
Grafter

@curati
I think I was in a similar position to where you are now, having read a lot of the problems on the forum and having a solid connection at the time, albeit only 1Mb, I was reluctant to make the jump to Max.
Last month I decided to finally take the plunge and go for the upgrade. I was pleasantly surprised. I was expecting to get between 1 and 1.5Mb, but with slightly faster upload speeds. I'm actually syncing now at 2752Kbs with a profile of 2Mb, so my speed doubled. Even though the 2752 speed isn't enough to give me a 2.5Mb line, it does give me a fair bit of slack overhead to practically guarantee the 2Mb profile.
Apart from the incident I suffered yesterday, with resyncs most of the morning (which appears to have been Openreach working in the cabinet near my house) the line has still been pretty stable. I have lost some stability, maybe the router reconnects once a day, or maybe once every couple of days. Previously the line would stay up for months at a time, but given the distance I am from the exchange, I can live with it.
Ultimately, you have to make the choice yourself, but I will say that I'm glad I did it - even if I did wait a year....
Just in case you find your router/modem stats, for comparison my stats before the upgrade were: -
Sync 1152
Downstream attenuation 58db
Margin (SNR) between 9 and 15db
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Quote from: curati
WAN                45792 Packets  21182 Packets
LAN                 12409 Packets 28674 Packets
WIRELESS 11g 16263 Packets 44574 Packets
is this the information?
i'm using a d-link di-624 if that helps.

No, that just shows the amount of data you have sent/received and not your line stats.
I don't know that router so can't tell you if it shows lines stats but look for a status page which shows your sync speed and it may also show line attenuation and SNR/noise margin figures.

pjemmanuel
Grafter

It looks like stats may not be available on this router. I just found this rather neat little "Emulator", although it should really be called a simulator here.
I can't find the stats anywhere in the pages, assuming the emulator shows all the availablepages.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

This is, I believe a fairly new router given that it supports 108Mbs wireless, so it should have them.
pjemmanuel
Grafter

Ah, I see why now - I've been investigating.... Smiley
The DI-624 doesn't appear to be an ADSL router, that's why there is no ADSL settings at all in the "emulator" - there is a DSL-(G)624 which has an ADSL modem included. If this is the model the OP has, then there apparently should be a button on the router setup pages for ADSL line as shown below...

curati
Grafter

right ok.  I'll find out the details tomorrow and post them.
It does sound as though it may be the way forward.