cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you get service?

Mr_Ping

Re: How do you get service?

Personally, I don't see why they should "relax the restriction".  You are approaching the usage limitations on your account, and the traffic management prioritisation is working correctly.  To relax the restriction, you should upgrade to a more suitable account type.

I'm sorry, but how is that relevant?
Gimpy hasn't exceeded the 20GB allowance, so why the penalisation? Unless of course restrictions now apply when you get to 2/3 of your allotted quota. In which case, that should be the stated intention of any policy.
I wish you luck with your new ISP, and I too would be interested to know how you get on. Though I suppose as an ex-member you will no longer have access to this form.
All the best.
Gimpy
Grafter

I can't believe I'm being asked to pay for a 30 day notice period. If I do have to I'm going to try my hardest to break that 20GB limit. I've paid for it for years now and never got close.
And before everybody starts having a go about how selfish that is, do remember that Plusnet set the limit, if they can't handle it then they shouldn't have been taking my money for it every month.
gswindale
Grafter

there's bound to be a 30day notice period - have you read the T&C you signed up to?
I wish you all the best with your new ISP as well, but you may need all the luck you can get in the not too distant future - ADSL24 are relative newcomers on the scene and as such don't have such a big userbase.  Once they get more popular, that is when the problems occur - look at Plus a year or so ago.  Stick with them and they may resolve (like Plus have) or they may not.
I can't see my usage figures from a few months back now, but I'm sure on a number of occasions I got close to the 20G limit (17.8 rings a bell)
Gimpy
Grafter

Well done to you, reached level 2! That can't have been easy.
I have read the terms and conditions and the 30 day notice is mentioned. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of not keeping up with the new ones as they came out and I have only just read that part.
I can't see why somebody who's been with them for more than 7 years should need to give notice though, is Plusnet that hard up?
When I started with Plusnet they were as young a company as they are but at least they have the backing of entanet so their first years shouldn't be so bad.
Gimpy
Grafter

Here we are, another Plusnet page that says so undeniably clearly that restrictions only apply during peak-time: http://usergroup.plus.net/sup_calc.php
The line in question is: "Limits only apply during the peak hours of 4pm to midnight."
It can't get clearer.
God
Grafter

Gimpy
You really must try harder... I have managed to break 20 gig in a month on BB+.
You need to really push the boat out over the next 30 days!
We expect a daily status on your endeavours!
James
Grafter

Quote from: Gimpy
Here we are, another Plusnet page that says so undeniably clearly that restrictions only apply during peak-time: http://usergroup.plus.net/sup_calc.php
The line in question is: "Limits only apply during the peak hours of 4pm to midnight."

The Usergroup is not a PlusNet page.  It is run by a number of individuals who volunteer their services to help customers.
Ianwild
Grafter

Just to confirm that we are reviewing this process within the product team, as we agree that there is something of a disconnect here. Whether that results in a change in the wording we use, or something changes in the product design itself will need to be discussed further. It's not something we will be able to do overly quickly but as soon as I have an update I will come back to the thread.
I would apologise for the confusion this has caused Gimpy, and wish you best of luck with your new ISP if you do choose to move.
Ian
JamesUK

It's probably easier to think of it like motorways...
You can have a national limit of 70mph on a motorway, every so often they can put warning signs on that limit you to 50mph.  However at other times, there can be no limiting signs on, but too many cars on the road and therefore it gets bogged down and you can only get to 30mph tops.  This isnt you being resticted, it is purely down to the amount of people trying to use the service.
Your internet service has (or..i suppose..had..) a limit of 20Gb.  Before you reach that limit there is a sliding scale of speed restictions that are applied.  During the time of the day these restictions may be turned ON or turned OFF..... regardless of which state they are in, if the service is being over-utilised everyones speeds will suffer (including yours) causing you to have a slower connection.  When this happens certain traffic is proritised based on type so that applications that need a "real-time" responce (Voip..gaming..etc..) can still work the way they need to and items that don't need such a real-time responce (downloads, web browsing, email..etc) are left more towards the background. 
...i think explains it....
(btw 20Gb is easy on t'internet.  10Gb a day is ... fairly easy sometiems)