cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get target SNR fixed

tonycollinet
Grafter

How do I get target SNR fixed

OK - about a week ago, router went awol causing multiple disconnects and speed dropped from 8000+ to less than 2000.
Borrowed a new router last Friday. Since then the speed gradually increased - but now it is stuck at about 6800 ish (see below) However the noise margin is 15dB plus. Presumably BT has set a high noise margin due to the dropouts - but this is not recovering. Connection has been stable now for a week. What do I need to do to get the noise margin set back to a lower value?
Thanks.
EDIT: My profile also climbed to 6000 - why has it now dropped to 4500 again even though the connection has been rock solid?
Note - prior to my disconnect problems I had a rock solid 8000+ connection without fail.
I would also like to get interleaving turned off.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 6816 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 15.0 db 10.0 db
Noise Margin 15.8 db 22.0 db
10 REPLIES 10
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: How do I get target SNR fixed

With that line attenuation you should see max sync speed, you will.never see a margin of 6dB as there will be plenty of headroom (assuming no faults - no crackling or other intermittent noises on the phone line etc). Those stats don't quite gel though. Have you tried in the test socket with an alternative quality filter, try with no phone plugged into it as well.
tonycollinet
Grafter

No
I simply think that due to the connection problems I had, that a target noise margin of 15dB has been set. This just a bit too high to achieve the maximum speed. Now my connection is stable it needs to bte set back to 6dB (as a target). Speed will increase to max, and noise margin will settle at about 10-13dB.
Question is - who can correct the target - or does it happe automatically in time.
tonycollinet
Grafter

Still here, nearly 3 weeks after installing a new router. Noise margin is still locked at 15dB.
How do I get this fixed?
Denzil
Grafter

First try Anotherone's suggestion of plugging the router into the test socket, and post the statistics you get from there. This will at least rule out any problem with internal wiring.
baldrick
Grafter

I used to switch my router off each night and my S/N ratio jumped to 15dB for no apparent reason. It did not budge for months. I then left the router on 24/7 and it started to drop back to a sensible level. So whilst I hear the advice that it's OK to switch it off once a day, I am not convinced. If you currently do this try, leaving it on for a few weeks.
tonycollinet
Grafter

I don't have a test socket, so can't try that. Plus - the problem isn't internal - it is the target SNR which (I believe) is set in the exchange. It has been set high due to disconnects caused by a faulty router, but the line has been stable now for nearly 4 weeks. I would expect the target SNR to be reduced by now.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi tony,
I'll have a word with the faults team and see if there's anything we can do, though I know unfortunately that this is something it can be awkward to arrange. I'll let you know as soon as I know any more.
tonycollinet
Grafter

Thanks
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Sorry for the delay Tony, I'll give you a ring shortly - I hope that's alright.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Tony,
Thanks for your time on the phone earlier, please let us know if that doesn't sort it.