cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Horrendous broadband service - Last call for help.

Roxiefrost
Grafter

Re: Horrendous broadband service - Last call for help.

@aesmith Nothing is downloading/uploading in the background, my partner has gone completely nuclear on this, testing each device on their own, via wired where possible, and wireless, it doesn't matter what device, or how it's connected. He is banned all devices one by one to make sure there was no possible way something was accessing the internet other than the tested device. 

And as the service is so bad, we can only have one device connected at a time or it jams up what we are trying to do so there is no way for it to take bandwidth from anywhere else. 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 410

They are yet again sending another BT Openreach engineer out on Friday,

TBH that's all an ISP can do. You just have to hope that you get a decent engineer whose interested in solving the fault.

Should I show the engineer this thread? 

I would certainly show them the router technical log and ask them to explain why the speeds are so low (and the noise margins so high!) , particularly the upstream .

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Roxiefrost
Grafter

@MisterW I will do this, thank you so much, and also @jab1 and to everyone else too.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 80

@Roxiefrost

Were you using the Hub Two before you changed to Fibre (no phone line) product? 

The reason I ask is provided the Hub has not been factory reset, the log file will detail your connection details from when it was last factory reset (hopefully some time ago) or first used.

From the event history we can see if the line sync has changed since the product change.

The event log can be exported as a CSV file

Advanced Settings >Technical log >Event log >select EXPORT, the csv file will saved to the downloads folder, use the paper clip below to attach the exported file.

Roxiefrost
Grafter

Yes we were on the Hub 2 originally, and were sent out a new one in the event the old one was knackered. But it made no difference.

Is the Hub 2 any good? Should I replace it?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

and were sent out a new one in the event the old one was knackered

@Roxiefrost Don't tell me, one of the engineers said the router was faulty!. Routers are rarely the cause of low speeds and dropouts but are an easy target for an engineer. The Hub 2 has a pretty good modem and so replacing it is unlikely to help.

At least the new engineer won't be able to blame the router, as its already been changed🙄

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Roxiefrost
Grafter

@MisterW We shall see what happens on Friday, I am going to show him this forum and what you guys have found, along with the images I've posted and see if we can get a resolution. 

I'm just so sceptical because we have had so many engineers round already who either don't see an issue, can't understand the issue or "fix" something that lasts for a few weeks. 

aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Apologies if this is stated somewhere, but is this being worked as a copper line fault, or a broadband fault? The line needs to be proven good before even thinking about the broadband side. Do you know what work has been done? I would have expected at least a D Side pair swap.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 259

The Event Log is the best option if any Community members are to be able to help.

John
Roxiefrost
Grafter

@MisterW Engineer came today, safe to say it's made absolutely difference at all?

Product code:Plusnet Hub Two
Serial number:+108417+2320009460
Firmware version:v0.10.00.04201-PN
Firmware updated:14-Aug-2023
Board version:R01
GUI version:1.9 16_08_2022
DSL uptime:0 Days 8 Hrs 34 Mins
Data rate:800 Kbps / 29.549 Mbps
Maximum data rate:1.849 Mbps / 30.333 Mbps
Noise margin:19.5 / 6.1
Line attenuation:13.6 / 29.7
Signal attenuation:10.6 / 40.8
VLAN id:101
Upstream error control:Off
Downstream error control:Off
Data sent / received:988.0 MB Uploaded / 37.5 GB Downloaded
2.4 GHz wireless network name:PLUSNET-3PC9FS 5hgz
2.4 GHz wireless channel:Smart (Channel 11)
5 GHz wireless network name:PLUSNET-3PC9FS 5hgz
5 GHz wireless channel:Smart (Channel 40)
Wireless security:WPA2
Wireless mode:Mode 1
Firewall:On
Software variant:-
Boot loader:0.1.7-PN (Thu Nov 30 09:45:22 2017)
aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

What did he actually do? Sorry to repeat, but is he testing the copper line, or the broadband? It needs to be tested and fixed in that order. Otherwise the conclusion is likely to be "this is the best you can get on a [-Censored-] line"

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

As @aesmith says , what did he/she do ?

Roxiefrost
Grafter

@MisterW @aesmith 

Absolutely no idea, I showed him the recommendations/comments from this thread, he said he will leave the property and investigate, then left. 

I rang Plusnet as me and my partner can't see any difference, and they are sending out ANOTHER engineer on Monday...... 

In regards to the line, again I really don't know - they don't offer much in terms of feedback. I do believe they are looking at the line vs the broadband itself.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 80

@Roxiefrost 

DSL uptime:0 Days 8 Hrs 34 Mins

Data sent / received:988.0 MB Uploaded / 37.5 GB Downloaded

nearly 38gb in 8 hours is quite a lot of data.

You can only use your bandwidth once, the more the devices dowloading the slower the connection.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 259

@Dan_the_Van I thought of that too, but assuming the OP is on a 40/10 profile , the US data rate looks suspicious. Would that have any bearing?

John