cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G or N Wi-Fi

oldgeezer
Grafter

G or N Wi-Fi

I'm relatively new to this Wi-Fi business and looking for a bit of advice.
I have a Netgear DGN1000 n150 modem-router and after  major problems with the Atheros card in my Samsung NC10 I have substituted a Intel 5100 card ( n300.).
My problem is that the set-up works perfectly with constant connection if I set them up for b & g, but if I attempt to connect them using n then the connection drops out several times a day. I have used inssider to make sure that my channel is clear and tweaked everything I can think of.
What I would like to know is if there is any real point in trying to get n working when my BB download speed peaks at 5 Mb/s and even when the upgrade takes place is unlikely to rise above 7 Mb/s ?  I don't have any range problems.
I don't stream large amounts of data over the network other than backing up to an external IDE drive via a slow Belkin USB network hub.
oldgeezer
3 REPLIES 3
julesandsand
Grafter

Re: G or N Wi-Fi

I think you've answered your own question, since your wireless connection is used mainly for internet, provided your network speed exceeds your BB download speed then wireless N is of little value to you.
Having said that if it was me I would still like to solve the problem though.  Smiley
oldgeezer
Grafter

I've done a bit more delving and found that it seems to be something to do with the Intel 5100 card.
If you go into device manager, properties, and check the n operation box the internet becomes about 50 times slower. Taking minutes to download from a website. At least it works perfectly on b/g which is more than the Atheros card did.
The 5100 is supposed to support n but it only has two antenni, while most other n cards have three.
Perhaps it's an early implimentation.
I'll stick with b/g I think.
Thanks for the reply,
oldgeezer
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It certainly looks like an incompatibility there but as general advice, it could be an interference problem as -N uses a different frequency range to -G.