Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Future Proof Router - Draytek experiences

ngins
Dabbler

Future Proof Router - Draytek experiences

Hi All,
I have been using netgears for Years.  As it seems that initially FTTC will use a seperate Modem and Router, and my netgear is starting to have issues with my mixed bag of wireless devices I was looking to just use the Modem on my current ADSL Modem Router (which can be done), configure the wireless router side for all my devices and then when I get enabled for FTTC I canm just plug my wireless router into the new VDSL Modem.  As far as I can see the Draytek 2130 seems to look like a good product and supports speeds that would be fine foe FTTC, Cable (if I ever wetn that way) or even FTTH but is relatively unkown to me.  I undertsand Draytek is a good name in SMB world but I dont have any experience of them.  Are they any good? 
Am I mad trying to future proof myself a bit?  Should I just stick with whatever 'free' kit I get sent?  Any suggestions for kit welcomed.  Curent ADSL box is a Netgear DG834N but it seems to hate mobile phone WiFi.
Cheers
Neil
3 REPLIES 3
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Future Proof Router - Draytek experiences

You can't just plug the 834N into the VDSL modem, you need to use a WAN / cable modem router that supports PPPoE for that, which PN will supply when you go on the trial.
As for the Draytek, I have used previous versions in the past (2500, 2600, 2800 etc) without any problems but yet to get any experience with the current crop of WAN/ADSL versions - although this may change soon to try and get my block of IPs working again as current FTTC supplied routers don't support multiple IPs. The 2130 was certainly high on the list of suitable routers for this due to it's ability to have both NAT and No-Nat connections.
ngins
Dabbler

thanks a mill, sorry i proably wasn't clear what I was proposing to do was:
Get the draytek.
Turn OFF the router on the Netgear and just use the modem on it (there is an admin menu to do this)
Plug the Netgear as an ADSL modem into the Draytek as a router and set it all up. (At this point still using ADSL)
Then when I get FTTC, throw away the netgear and instead plug the supplied BT VDSL modem into the Draytek.  The plus of all of this is that all the wireless stuff would be set up for me, all I (hope) I would need to do is reconfigure the WAN side of the Draytek to work correctly with VDSL IP configuration. (The dratek supports all the required PPPoE settings etc that VDSL needs).
Basically I am hoping to get the benefits of a better router whilst I am still stuck on ADSL and once I get FTTC/VDSL I only need to configure the part of the router that is going out to the WAN as the internal wireless part will already be set up for devices on my LAN.
Cheers
Neil
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

I thought that was want you meant but was not sure.
While it should work as you described, the 834 and 834G variants in bridged mode (firewall and NAT disabled) were not that reliable but you may find the 834N (which uses a different chipset and firmware) is OK.