cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full Fibre line just around the corner

doc_adeel

Full Fibre line just around the corner

Just had my Fibre connection today and this was the only speed package available to me.

“At peak times, we estimate that you'll get the following speeds on your line:
Download: 40Mb
Upload: 5 - 7Mb
Minimum Guaranteed Speed: 27.3Mb”

My property didnt have any existing line. So when Openreach team came to install the connection they connected my line to the same point up the corner of my street where they also have Full Fibre connection. If Plusnet was to bring the line in for just simple Fibre comnection to my house from the same point where they also had Full Fibre why cant they just give me Full Fibre. The speed on this Fibre connection is awful. Im only getting 22-23mb on Wifi with Plusnet router.

So my question really is, can I ask Plusnet to provide me Full Fibre?
9 REPLIES 9
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: Full Fibre line just around the corner

@doc_adeel Post the result from this link, as a screen shot, but obscure your address in the reply: BT Broadband - Address .

John
doc_adeel

Attached. Thanks.Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 09.21.38.png

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

@doc_adeel  don't be assuming that the product called Fibre is similar to Full Fibre. Fibre (FTTC) is only a fibre optic connection to your local cabinet, the connection to your premises is then via a normal copper line. Full fibre(FTTP) requires a completely separate infrastructure to be installed by Openreach. True fibre optic cables are installed by Openreach, either to the poles if your connection is overhead, or new underground ducts, with only the short bit from pole or nearest underground chamber to be installed when a customer orders Full fibre. These cables connect to new aggregation points and go back to the exchange, they are not in any way connected to your local distribution cabinet. If your area hasn't been prepared for FTTP (which the checker confirms) then it isnt available from any ISP who uses Openreach. The checker will often show FTTP on Demand, which is where YOU can pay for a dedicated fibre connection to the nearest aggregation node but this usually costs many thousands of pounds and is really only intended for businesses.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

doc_adeel

You seem to have a lot of knowledge on this. Thanks for your reply.

Part of me wants to ask Plusnet to see how much they will charge for FTTP on demand.
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

I don't know if FTTPoD is something PN would even offer - I doubt it, TBH, but the costs levied by OpenReach to you can reach four/five thousand pounds.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

Part of me wants to ask Plusnet to see how much they will charge for FTTP on demand. 

I'm not sure that Plusnet, like many ISP's, are even willing to consider offering FTTP on Demand, it involves considerable up-front charges for a survey to estimate installation charges and most are then cancelled when the actual charges are known!

This https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2023/05/openreach-try-to-reduce-uk-fttp-on-demand-broadband-ca... is worth a read

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Full Fibre to Broadband

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

@jab1 wrote:

... the costs levied by OpenReach to you can reach four/five thousand pounds.

Or much higher. A few years ago I asked about FTTPoD from BT for my business, but they wouldn't even prepare a detailed quote as they said the costs would clearly be over £100,000.

I'd have been happy with paying £5k+ at the time.

I now have symmetric 600Mbps FTTP from an altnet - the best Openreach can offer is still sub-USO ADSL2+

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@doc_adeel 

Does the pole your phone line connects to have something attached that looks like this.

CBT.jpg

This is a 4 port CBT (Consumer Block Terminal) for FTTP. You get larger sizes.

If it does, check neighbouring address (using the Address version of the Checker) to see what they say. If FTTP is available it shows as WBC FTTP in the left hand column.

You can also check OpenReach for any FTTP plans for your area - www.openreach.com

Brian