cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequent drop outs

90mrcy

Frequent drop outs

We've been experiencing multiple drop outs per day to our wifi connection for as long as I can remember.  When it happens it is often that only one or two devices stop connecting to the internet while the rest are fine.

We have a Hub One router and whenever this happens the light stays blue, and the device still looks like it has internet signal, it just can't connect.  We don't reset the router and instead leave it alone because it normally fixes itself within one minute, but it very annoying  because on video calls it causes drop outs and disconnections.

We have already separated out the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels.

Any help would be really appreciated! 

15 REPLIES 15
SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Re: Frequent drop outs

Thanks for getting in touch @90mrcy, I'm really sorry you are experiencing an issue with your wireless and for the disruption this is causing. 

Have you been through changing the wireless channels outlined here?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
90mrcy

Hi @SammyM , thanks for this. Yes I have tried that to no avail and so switched them back to auto.  We also have recently purchased Eero wifi extenders and that hasn't helped with the drops.

We moved house about 4 months ago and had the same issues then. We took our router with us so not sure if that would be the cause, but its the only common denominator that I can think of.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Thanks a lot for getting back to us @90mrcy and I'm really sorry to hear that you've continued to have issues despite changing the WIFI channels. Do you notice a change in colour of the light on your router when your service disconnects? 

The line looks pretty stable from our side to be honest so I'm confident that the drops you're having are with the wireless connection. 

It also might be worth giving your router a single reboot, up time has reached 30 days so it's likely the router has gathered a fair amount of cache, resetting it can help. Smiley 

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
90mrcy

Thanks @adam945 .  When it drops out it tends to be just a few devices (not all) and the router stays blue so agree sounds like a wireless issue.  I'll reboot our router and see if that makes a difference.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Thanks @90mrcy, let us know how you get on with that!

If the issues continue, can you advise if it's the same devices that are the ones that disconnect every time, or can it vary on which ones disconnect and which stay connected? 

Have you noticed if the drop happens if a specific device is turned on or used?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
90mrcy

rebooting of the router worked for a few days but today I’ve had devices lose connectivity 3 times already this morning. I looked at my phone when it happened and it still says I’m connected to the WiFi, just that there doesn’t seem to be any internet.

I’ve noticed that it tends to be phones (multiple ones) that drop most often but could just be because we use those devices the most so more likely to notice

Thanks!
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there,

I'm really sorry to see you've been having a lot of connection issues. I've had a look into this for you (I love your Wi-Fi network name btw!) and I'd like to arrange a Qube engineer with you to help further and take a closer look.

Would you be able to reply to the ticket I've logged on your account Here with when you'll be available for a visit?

If you can post back once you've responded, I can make sure we book the engineer for you as soon as possible. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
90mrcy

Thanks, I’ve replied to the ticket
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Thanks a lot for getting back to us, looks like the ticket has been picked up today, and an engineer visit has been arranged for 06/04/2022 between 8AM - 10AM Smiley 

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
90mrcy

Hello all, wasn't sure how to best get this resolved as Plusnet has closed my ticket and doesn't let me open it back up.  An engineer visited and called up Plusnet when they were at my house as they couldn't figure it out. They decided that it would be best to send us a new router and see if that solves the issues.  However we are yet to receive the router and the closed ticket does not mention this at all. Can anyone please help with this?

Separately, we received an email today saying that our bill for the month had gone up by 27% without any reason. I think this is due to the discounts being incorrectly applied but it is strange as we are part way through a longstanding contract. Could someone please look into this?

Thank you!

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

@90mrcy Those Qube engineers aren't the best, from what I've gleaned after they've paid people visits. The chances are they didn't follow the correct procedure to order the new Hub, especially as if, as you say, the closed ticket didn't mention it. This needs Help Team intervention.

The bill issue will also need HT intervention.

John
90mrcy

Thank you all! Does anyone know if the Help Team can respond in the forum? I seem to never be able to get through when I call up

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

@90mrcy The Help Team I referred to are some of those who have already responded on here (the ones that say 'Help team' under their names).

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@90mrcy wrote:

Separately, we received an email today saying that our bill for the month had gone up by 27% without any reason. I think this is due to the discounts being incorrectly applied but it is strange as we are part way through a longstanding contract. Could someone please look into this?

2022 Billing increases

Users have found the first bill following the price changes on 31st March 2022 odd because the brief summary presented at the top of the bill is just that - a summary. It does not reflect the important details of each line as fully described on subsequent pages. The first bill after the price rise, has for each chargeable item and their associated discounts...

1. A refund for the charges already paid on the previous bill (at the old rate) for the period from 31st March to the billing date
  2. A re-charge in arrears (at the new rate) for the period from 31st March to the billing date
  3. The charge at the new rate for the following month (charged in advance)

Consequently comparing this months bill with last months bill can create the impression that it has gone up more than the expected 9.3%.  It is also possible that the annual prise rise is coincident with the end of the discounted minimum term, making the increase appear much larger.

Note: in some cases there is a known error on the first bill run which has omitted to adjust applicable discounts.

Price rises tend to give rise to users reviewing their account terms - some have found that their minimum term end date on their contract appears to be wrong, or inconsistent depending on which browser or environment they use to access the information. The one which looks sensible is probably the correct one. This issue is under investigation; if you need to confirm the details, please contact COTS.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.