Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre without broadband

FIXED
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Fibre without broadband

Hi. If I renew my full fibre with landline to fiber without broadband how do I connect the router?  I am talking about FTTC and not full fibre FTTP.  Do I leave my current current connection in the same socket on the back of the hub2 router, the left hand socket? I thought I needed a telephone number for this?

7 REPLIES 7
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 82

Re: Fibre without broadband

Fix

@Nick_Russell 

I think you mean "If I renew my current contract "Unlimited Fibre with landline phone" to "Fibre with no landline phone  (SOGEA)" what happens to the landline phone?

The landline phone service is removed, so you can disconnect the now redundant phone, you leave the Hub connected as it now.

Single order Generic Ethernet Access (SOGEA) service works without an associated phone number.

HTH

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Nick_Russell wrote:

I thought I needed a telephone number for this?

@Dan_the_Van wrote:

Single order Generic Ethernet Access (SOGEA) service works without an associated phone number.

When you move over to SoGEA, occasionally you will still need some way of identifying your 'copper pair', which until recently was typically done by specifying the landline telephone number. 

Some websites such as the BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test  [Additional Diagnostic] allow you to specify your connection's BBEU number, as an alternative to the now disassociated Telephone Number.

You might be able to find your BBEU number in your original contract info from Plusnet, but otherwise Plusnet Support should be able to tell you your connection's BBEU

BTW Additional Diagnostic BBEU.jpg

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 51

@Nick_Russell 

Full fibre is FTTP - I assume you're on FTTC currently. If you were on FTTP you wouldn't be allowed to step down to FTTC.

As mentioned you simply remove remove your phone from the socket and pack it away somewhere. Note the phone socket on the Hub2 is inactive.

If you want to keep your phone number on a VOIP account you have 30 days to port the munber after your account goes to SOGEA though it should be done asap after the move in case of problems.

Brian

Nick_Russell
Grafter

Thanks for this.  At the moment I am on FTTC Unlimited fibre.  Before I move to a unlimited fibre without landline (still FTTC), can I port my number to a VOIP supplier? Do I have to ask for my line to go to SOGEA, or if I arrange to move my number will it automatically go to a SOGEA connection? Will my hub 2 support a VOIP setup such as Gigaset N300 IP , or will I have to get my own compatable router?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Nick_Russell wrote:

Will my hub 2 support a VOIP setup such as Gigaset N300 IP , or will I have to get my own compatable router?

I have the Gigaset N300, and it will work with any router, so simply plug it into your Hub-2, or any convenient ethernet socket if you are using network switches etc.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 412

Before I move to a unlimited fibre without landline (still FTTC), can I port my number to a VOIP supplier?

@Nick_Russell No, your FTTC service includes a phone service, if you port the number it will cease the phone service and the associated broadband!.

You must recontract to the Fibre(SoGEA) service first, that will cease the phone (in a different way) leaving broadband still active. You then have 30 days to port your number to voip.

Will my hub 2 support a VOIP setup such as Gigaset N300 IP ,

Yes

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 51

@Nick_Russell 

While I believe PN would re-contract you on your current service if you go to a internet only account then you move automatically to SOGEA on the day.

As mentioned you can't port your number until you move. However, depending on your choice of VOIP provider you can set your VOIP account up in advance so you can iniatate the port once you confirm you're on SOGEA. Note there will be downtime on your phone line.

There are many providers out there but A&A seem to offer good deals and have good FAQ's on VOIP. They also accept an account being set up in advance.

https://www.aa.net.uk/voice-and-mobile/voip-information/

VOIP doesn't work during power cuts sp that's something for you to think about. House extensions won't work without a bit of extra work. Also, many VOIP providers use automated systems to port numbers which can fail if the number is not active. As you've "ceased" your landline this applies to you. If (or when) this happens you need to get the VOIP provider Support to phone and arrange a manual port. A&A seem to know what they're doing in this respect.

Brian