Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Few days of very slow connection ADSL

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: Few days of very slow connection ADSL

@Mustrum Even if @IanSn had a static IP - which I doubt - the D/S SNR should not be climbing and his profile should not have dropped as it has.

John
IanSn
Rising Star

@jab1 @Mustrum 

Nope. Not static.

I reeling atm. They even closed the ticket. I feel as if I've been thrown in the bin...

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Ah ok, it was worth an ask. I noticed your upload speed had improved so was looking for an easy answer!

Best to give them a call and get them to reopen the ticket, and also to reject the Openreach fix.

jab1
Legend

@IanSn I doubt you will get a staff reply this side of Monday. They are 'extremely busy' - for reasons that have never been fully explained, although I have my suspicions.

I'll continue to watch this and support you if needed, but I can't guarantee it will have much effect, this support channel is becoming more like its parent company's every day.

John
Mustrum
Community Veteran

Agreed @jab1  hence a call, no doubt spitting on a hands free phone until someone answers should get a quicker response - hopefully!

IanSn
Rising Star

@jab1  @Mustrum 

Actually picking up a zen scent on the wind. Cost be damned, I need something that works rn. Customer 'loyalty' only goes so far.

Would it still be the same problem tho?

jab1
Legend

@Mustrum Without upsetting too many people (I hope) can I suggest that the call may be a little unproductive. From my experience - admittedly over a year ago now, but from reading these forums still a problem - call centre operatives are less than adequately trained, or these days, merely read from what they hope is the correct crib-sheet.

John
jab1
Legend

@IanSn wrote:

@jab1  @Mustrum 

Actually picking up a zen scent on the wind. Cost be damned, I need something that works rn. Customer 'loyalty' only goes so far.

Would it still be the same problem tho?

To be honest, I doubt it - they have dedicated, properly trained teams answering the phones/emails, and the two or three times I have had to call them, the issue has been sorted over the phone, although these were not network issues.

John
IanSn
Rising Star

They have a broadband only offer which is what I need. This might be the nudge I needed.

Do they work over weekends?

Mustrum
Community Veteran

@IanSn  PN work over the weekend, and should at least be able to reopen the ticket, and reject the fix. Alas until the fault is fixed, it will just follow you to another supplier, min time to move 14 days.

@jab1  agreed re response on here at least, hence the call suggestion.  No doubt that will be pot luck, , 

Re-reading the thread, it seems the reset, then the recent OR intervention have improved the attainable speeds, and the upstream, so one could say things are heading in the right direction.

What I have not seen or missed - no mention of a quiet line test, and has a different modem been tried?

And am I right in thinking no recent changes to where the router has been plugged in? And have you tried getting those figures/tests whilst plugged into the test socket, with nothing else plugged in, and a different filter and dsl cable.

Sorry for the questions, sods law tends to create more than one fault at a time.

jab1
Legend

@Mustrum Whatever has been done may have improved the attainable speeds, but as the latest BT wholesale report shows, that has not resulted in any improvement in actual connection speed.

John
IanSn
Rising Star

@Mustrum @jab1 

Yes to all the usual checks, master socket, silent line, ethernet, etc. Except not a different router, I don't have one. I was sent this router in June (I think) to replace a dead one. It should be good. (?)  (It was a hub0, btw, already history, I should've had a new one.)

The attainable speed / observed speed discrepancy is so huge that I'd have thought small improvements in attainable hardly matter!

Hasn't the BTW test shown same attainable number all along? (I'm not an expert, or anything close, on this matter so disregard this comment as appropriate...)

My gripe is that someone can conclude the problem is fixed and close the ticket when it very clearly isn't fixed and the customer is left to a BTW test to find this to be so. And still find staff help on the forum silent, as they have been for the duration of this thread.

Mustrum
Community Veteran

@IanSn  Just to clear up some confusion, there are two BTW test you have on here, actualy one test, one estimate of speeds you should be getting So the blue and white one just shows what services are available, and the speeds estimate on those services.

The red and green one, is a speed test. The first should not change, what we want to see is the red and green one improving.

The attainable speed on the router help desk  is a theoretical figure the router thinks your line is capable off - that at least has improved this week.

I understand your gripe re closing the fault, and the lack of PN support on here. Alas like anywhere, if you get the right person who is lucky enough to get the right diagnosis first time then everyone is happy. Alas bean counters, the public wanting more for less, an expression re paying monkeys, corporate obese cats and a load of other excuses result in less than happy people - on both sides as it happens!

Too late now I guess, but did you get a chance to call PN

'

jab1
Legend

Just before I go to bed, @Mustrum , the reported speed I was referring to was the one on the BTW Availability Checker, which, as I understand it, is the speed to the customers test socket, which disregards anything downstream of there - i.e. it is the speed seen by the network before it reaches any customer equipment, and that is still way below the potential.

John
IanSn
Rising Star

@Mustrum  OK, I was looking at the previous.

Nevermind, the last test I did was in low single figures, which have been going down from slightly less low single figures, that's all I needed to know when someone said it was fixed!

And, of course, noticing the difference in daily use when a small pdf takes ages to arrive...

No. Didn't bother to call. Considering my options over the weekend...