Did you mean: 

FAO James et all

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: FAO James et all

...and easy and understandable mistake to make Wink Wink Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
ClaretMatt
Grafter

Angry
My connection managed to remain stable for six days.  My target SNR reduction lasted two disconnects and has been raised back to 15 again.
Then somebody from Plusnet tries to fob me off (and enrages me) by telling me my problem is fixed because it can manage a few days connected.  Target SNR reductions occur after 28 days of stable connection.  So, if the best to date I can manage is 6 days then I'll never have a reduction.
All this after I switched home phone over to make it easier to find and repair the fault too.  I've really made a bad choice here I feel now.  I couldn't possibly recommend a BTW based broadband supplier to anyone.
puddy
Grafter

My line snr always been at 15dB and its a short line because my exchange is a cross the road from me and wires go under the road stright in to the exchange, i watched BT install the line underground when my house was being built and I have sync rate of 8128.
I have noticed since last week my speed has dropped from 6.4kbps down to 5.4kbps  I did the speed test at 3am so not many people on line but its still slower
Nothing changed my end whats going on plusnet?
Puddy
James
Grafter

Hi Matt,
As far as broadband connectivity goes, you don't have a problem, it is working.
Sorry to see that the SNR picked up again - do you have a router which is compatible with the DMT tool?
When I mentioned a period of stability for 28 days, I didn't mean that your uptime needed to be 4 weeks straight, just that you don't encounter periods of instability.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

When I mentioned a period of stability for 28 days, I didn't mean that your uptime needed to be 4 weeks straight,.........................

In my experience , it does  Shocked
James
Grafter

I can't remember the last time my router had a uptime of a month Sad
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Could I recommend a decent router, service with a good ISP, and live close to the exchange if on a BT line Cheesy
[hides]
James
Grafter

Probably not using a forced SNR of 3dB might also help.
ClaretMatt
Grafter

I know I can adjust my SNR with the DMT tool, but won't BT simply force it back to 15 or worse?
James
Grafter

Using DMT will override that being set by BT.
ClaretMatt
Grafter

And there is no downside?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I am assured by The Jameseh that there are no downsides whatsoever Smiley
mapletree
Grafter

Can anyone tell me which routers allow you to set the target margin?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It seems that it's the Speedtouch range that work best with the DMT tool. Apparently you can use Netgear (though some settings can't be changed) and it should work with any hardware that uses a broadcom chipset.
Hope that helps,
mapletree
Grafter

I'm not looking for routers that are compatible with DMT tool.  I would like to know which routers allow you to change the target margin. I doubt that sales literature for routers would even say which chipset is used.  I hear it is commonplace for manufacturers to change chipsets without changing model numbers.
I just want to try tweaking target margin myself to see if I can get higher speeds without problems.  None of my current routers allow this to be changed.