cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely slow response from US server site via PN BB - no problem over 4G : Network bottleneck?

paulh
Rising Star

Extremely slow response from US server site via PN BB - no problem over 4G : Network bottleneck?

Slightly odd issue.

I regularly (several times a day) fetch data from an American university server. 

The data is got over https using API access into their server, via a small Python program. We literally fetch only a few hundred bytes of data each time.

The University claim that their response time, from receiving a request to transmitting the response, is about 3 seconds. I have no reason to doubt this. 

Over my PN connection (standard ADSL, no speed problems, get about 18MB/s), the response time for this activity, start to end, is never less than 13 seconds, and can be up to a 70 seconds or more.

If however I set my 'phone up as a WiFi hotspot and connect via 4G (Tesco/O2), and thus bypass the PN network altogether, I consistently get response times around 5-7 seconds.

Doesn't sound a big problem, but this single data fetch is on a critical path as part of a larger function, and it slows the entire process down by a factor of at least 7. 

So, I conclude there's a bottleneck somewhere. 

Can one of the PN network team pick this up please? It's driving me a bit nutty.

I can provide some MTR (traceroute) or ping or tcpdump data,  or whatever's needed - I'm on Linux btw.

Tags (3)
8 REPLIES 8
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Extremely slow response from US server site via PN BB - no problem over 4G : Network bottleneck?

Hi PaulH, yes we'd just need to see some results of a traceroute to be able so start looking into this for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
paulh
Rising Star

Re: Extremely slow response from US server site via PN BB - no problem over 4G : Network bottleneck?

thanks very much Adam.

Here's an MTR trace from last night.

I've PM'd you the target address separately.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks for that, hops 7, 8 and 9 definitely look problematic. Could you run a tracert to the same destination over the 4g connection just for comparison please?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
paulh
Rising Star

Sorry Adam only just seen this.

Unfortunately, I can't get a traceroute when I'm on 4G  - or rather I can, but it only returns the first hop.

After a bit of googling, it does seem this is a often a problem with 4G  telecoms providers - variously attributed to CGNAT, ICMP blocking or possibly Brexit. 

There doesn't seem much I can do about this, sorry Sad

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there.

Could you run a traceroute to pingbox1.thinkbroadband.com to compare?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
paulh
Rising Star

pingbox.png

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

No worries, the response times there look a lot better. It does look like there maybe some kind of routing issue. I want to take a look at this with one of our net ops team so bear with me and I'll get back to you ASAP when we've been able to review it. 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
paulh
Rising Star

Thanks Adam.

Didn't expect there to be an instant answer as it does seem to be off at the edge of the known universe Smiley