cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electric fence

noddy8
Grafter

Electric fence

Hi any electric fence experts out there ? my local farmer set one going and it's destroying my broadband pushing error rates sky high Sad . I've turned it off to comfirm this is the problem and every thing returns to normal .I've spent hours walking around it ( it covers a very large area ) checked any connections and to see if theres any shorting but not found any , it runs in parallel with the phone line for about 200 mtrs . Also have clicking on the phone cheers

7 REPLIES 7
noddy8
Grafter

Re: Electric fence

I've got a theory that it's bad grounding as the error rate dropped a little during a heavy rain storm this afternoon

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

IMHO you may well be right - definitely worth chasing up with the farmer.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

There is also a possibility that your phone line is more susceptible to interference. Is it quiet (other than the clicking ... which you are not entirely to know comes from the fence Cool_smiley)

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.

What do your router stats look like?

Please post your router stats; for PN TG582n and 2704n routers use the buttons below, for other routers look at the Kitz link.

Also run a BT Wholesale speed test (ideally using an Ethernet wired PC with the WiFi turned off) then run the further diagnostics and post the results here. DO NOT REBOOT the router!

Also find your CURRENT SPEED (PlusNet line profile) from the PlusNet user portal - you will need to log in.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

noddy8
Grafter

Hi thanks for the input , my router is a Billion with dslstats running so I get a constant record of what's going on . I can walk out of the house turn off the fence and all the errors drop way down to normal rates so I have checked that it is the fence , but if you saw the bull in that field I don't think it would be a good idea to leave it off Wink

noddy8
Grafter

also the clicking on the line goes away with the fence off

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29