Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Draytek Vigor 2830N V1 Speed Problem

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Re: Draytek Vigor 2830N V1 Speed Problem

It won't, if the TPLink is properly in bridge mode. The Draytek WAN connection is a PPPoE link which gets the public IP allocated. If the TPlink is in bridge mode, then it's transparent to the PPPoE traffic.

The only time the LAN IP of the TPLink would be relevant is if you wanted to try and access the Tplink configuration GUI from the Draytek. In which case you WOULD need a different LAN IP as described here for accessing a Vigor 130 modem ( ignore the bits about  VLAN ID ) https://www.draytek.com/en/faq/faq-connectivity/connectivity.wan/how-to-access-vigor130-in-bridge-mo...

One thing I thought of, have you tried creating a separate Interface group (on the TPLink) with just the bridge interface and one of the LAN ports i.e take the LAN port used to connect to the Draytek out of the default group.

Of course, if we can't get the bridge mode to work, then one option would be to keep the TPLink in router mode, let it make the PPP connection , change the WAN2 on the draytek to dynamic IP. In this config you WOULD need different LAN subnets on the Draytek and Tplink and you would also have a double NAT situation, so VPN or voip traffic would be difficult to handle, although you could always create a DMZ on the Tplink and put the Draytek in it.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

SteveBB
Dabbler

Cracked it! Apparently PPPoE requires LLC encapsualtion instead of VC-MUX. I was using the wizard to create the bridge and encapsulation was defaulting to VC-MUX, so when I realised the problem I created the bridge manually and was able to change the encapsulation. I then added an interface grouping mapping the LAN ports to the new bridge and everything worked.

The interesting thing is, the TP Link comes with a default bridge with encapsulation set to LLC but with the wrong VPI/VCI settings, and a default interface grouping with the LAN ports mapped to that bridge. So somewhere, probably abroad, all you need to do is activate the default bridge and you're good to go!

PPPoA on the TP Link is configured to VC-MUX; I don't know if that's correct, but it works when using it as a modem and router.

Thanks for your help.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Glad you got it workingSmiley It's a while since I've done much with ADSL so I've long since forgotten about things like llc and vc-mux. What you say about pppoa is correct I'm sure. I'm surprised the Tplink bridge doesn't default to llc , I'm fairly certain the 9970 did ( but it's awhile ago )

Anyway , happy to have been of some little help. If you need any help with anything on the 2830 then shout up or feel free to drop me a PM and I'll be only too happy to help if I can.

BTW does the Tplink/draytek setup give the better speed you were hoping for ?

PS I've just read back though the entire thread and noticed you are with JL rather than PN. You mentioned upgrading to fibre and I said the PN .hub one wouldn't operate in bridge mode. I think JL provide the zyxel vmg8924 for fibre which is quite a good router and DOES support bridge mode. There's a zen kB article here https://support.zen.co.uk/kb/Knowledgebase/ZyXEL-VMG1312-VMG8924-Bridge-Mode

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

SteveBB
Dabbler

It's a while since I've done much with ADSL so I've long since forgotten about things like llc and vc-mux. What you say about pppoa is correct I'm sure.

Apparently it depends what equipment you're connecting to at the exchange and your modem; the TP Link seems to work as a router/modem on ADSL2+ with PPPoA or PPPoE and LLC or VC-Mux, but LLC has to be selected on it when bridged for the Draytek to get through with PPPoE.

Anyway , happy to have been of some little help. If you need any help with anything on the 2830 then shout up or feel free to drop me a PM and I'll be only too happy to help if I can.

Thanks very much, I'm sure there will be questions!

BTW does the Tplink/draytek setup give the better speed you were hoping for ?

I was hoping for, but not expecting, a higher sync speed with the Draytek alone. But what I really wanted was better wireless performance and so far it certainly is better; I seem to be able to get a signal half-way down the garden, which I can't quite believe. And my laptop wireless card is connecting to the Draytek at 150Mbps instead of 43Mbs. As a bonus everything else seems to be faster, despite the same sync speed, but much of that might be switching to OpenDNS.

I think JL provide the zyxel vmg8924 for fibre which is quite a good router and DOES support bridge mode. There's a zen kB article here https://support.zen.co.uk/kb/Knowledgebase/ZyXEL-VMG1312-VMG8924-Bridge-Mode

Thanks, that's good to know. I'm not sure what benefiit fibre would bring to our kind of usage, but I think I would be tempted to buy a decent modem to use with the Draytek if I did get it.