cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download (effectively) stops during Upload…

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 76

Re: Download (effectively) stops during Upload…

@MisterW 

although not disagreeing with your last post, shouldn't it be established if the connection is actually ADSL, as a speed test looking like ADSL results and the expression of 'Bob Standard' broadband does not necessarily mean it is ADSL. Hence my request of the connection type.

If it is actually ADSL the your explanation is perfect for this scenario. 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 403

@Dan_the_Van yes agreed, ideally it would be useful to confirm its ADSL and not very badly performing VDSL.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 50

@CaseSensitive 

Have you checked recently as to wjat's available at your address. If you use the following and post a screenshot after hiding your details it might help.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Brian

CaseSensitive
Dabbler

Connection Type - Broadband (DSL)

IMG_2155.jpeg

CaseSensitive
Dabbler

Hi. Thanks. We have concerned about moving to Fibre and loosing out Land Line. We have lots of power cuts -

taly.png

Moderator's note:
Personal information removed (phone number) from a public forum (to an area that staff can see).
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 257

@CaseSensitive You are hammering your connection, and on ADSL, you have very little upload leeway. which will be the cause of most of your issues.

As an aside, your D/S noise margin is extremely low - 6dB is the standard on ADSL, although someone will no doubt tell me 2.3dB is okay for your line - I'm not convinced.

John
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@jab1  I don't think there's any problem with the excellent downstream speed,  it's a short line running at 3db default SNRM reduced a bit, probably by the dark evenings and radio station interference. 

The OP's problem is purely upstream saturation.

@CaseSensitive  I know it's easy to be wise after the event but you should have considered moving to VDSL2 (FTTC)  before the stop sell on the copper phone service last September. You can still change to SOGEA but you will have to set up a VOIP phone service which of course is problematic if you have frequent power cuts.

jab1
Legend

Fair enough, @RealAleMadrid , I can see what you mean, and if it is happy running at that, no problem.

It was only a 'side comment', anyway, really.

John
CaseSensitive
Dabbler

Thanks. PlusNet said they don’t do VOIP when I asked some months ago. They offered a BT solution but it was expensive and unclear as to what it was or for how long. 

jab1
Legend

@CaseSensitive You can set up a VoIP solution with a separate company - PN tried to push you to BT as that is the 'instruction' they have from BT Consumer - their bosses.

They should really advise that there are other options, but they won't.

John
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 50

@CaseSensitive 

You will have to face up to VOIP with all its inherent power cut issues within the next couple of years. You should at least spend some time thinking about it so you have an idea of what's required when the time comes. Especially power backup solutions.

There are many independant VOIP providers out there but A&A seem to offer good deals. As important, they have good FAQ pages about VOIP.

https://www.aa.net.uk/voice-and-mobile/voip-information/ 

Brian

markhawkin
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

@CaseSensitive 

Addressing the original question, I don't believe the Hub 2 allows you to set rate limits for applications.

As others have observed, the problem is uplink saturation. It was that (with things like OneDrive trying to synchronise) that made me move from ADSL to VDSL (fibre to the cabinet) as on ADSL the download was OK unless the upload was full.

Something like a Draytek 2860 would allow you to rate limit and these are relatively cheap second hand however setup is not simple or obvious.

https://www.draytek.com/support/knowledge-base/5782#drayos_section

Probably the simplest approach to setting this up would be to limit each device to 50% of your uplink speed (reserve an IP address for each device then limit that device).

I entirely sympathise about the landline. Personally I think the whole "end of traditional landlines" has been handled in a dreadful way and the BT imposed "Plusnet doesn't do landlines" thing driving customers to the more expensive BT product is doubly dreadful.

I am the satisfied customer....
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 6

@CaseSensitive this sort of problem is something we see from time to time particularly with things like YouTube because it's often a big file you're uploading so can take a while on a slower upload speed.

There is an option in Chrome (may exist in other browsers, I've not checked) I've used in the past that might help.

Open a new tab and start the YouTube upload and then open the Developer Tools in the browser (F12 I think on Windows or in the menu go to more tools then developer tools.

Click the Network tab and just under it there's a little drop down that says "No Throttling", click that and you can add a new profile to set the speed for the upload at say 500kbit/s or about half your upload speed, you can always play around with the value. The YouTube video will take longer to upload but you should have enough bandwidth left over for whatever else you want to do.

Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
greygit1
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

My immediate thought was that the interoperability between Chrome (a Google product) and YouTube (a Google product) might be a Google 'feature'.

But similar appears to be part of Firefox (learnt something today). Can't speak for other browsers.

(That functionality exposes a lot of GETS... e.g. live-lia-pushy-service-v2.euw1.prod.hosted.lithcloud.com . Possibly nothing to be overly concerned about, but I'm looking...)

CaseSensitive
Dabbler

Thank you. I’ll try this. Will moving to Fibre (not Full Fibre) solve my problem?

Still very concerned about using our Land Line. We live in a rural area with very limited cell coverage and need WIFI Dialling to connect. When our power goes out so does the cell mast. Leaving us isolated. 

Your experienced thought much appreciated. 

Merry Christmas.