cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dodgy ping in games

Alxns
Grafter

Dodgy ping in games

Ok well i was playing some CSS i my ping was jumping to 900 then back too 200 and so forth (usually sits at 40-50) i spoke to admin he can't see anything wrong at his end though he says it will most likely sort its self out
but according to
everything seems fine
anything going on i can't see?
Heres my router stats

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
6 REPLIES 6
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Dodgy ping in games

Alxns,
Could you let us know (either on here or by PM) what your account username is please? I'd like to do some checks for you.
BTW do you know if you have interleaving enabled on your connection? taking this off can sometimes help with problems like this. If that is something you want to do I can arrange it to happen within 24 hours.
Adam.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
redcar39
Dabbler

I've got the same problem with Battlefield Bad Company 2 and have had a support ticket open for almost 3 months now. I've changed packages to premium and pro. I've changed routers, I've submitted wireshark captures and tracerts. I've tested my equipment elsewhere. So far, nothing has happened. In my case the game rolls ok for half an hour or so, regardless of server. Then the ping creeps upwards and starts spiking heavily 300-500 ms. Then get's even worse sometimes a couple of seconds lag and I normally get autokicked from the server.
Are you playiing CSS through Steam? One of the support guys I spoke to said that Steam might be a culprit since they use bittorrent protocols apparently and would be targeted by Plusnet's traffic management system. However, even when I used the Pro package, which supposedly doesn't have any traffic management, it didn't improve anything for me.
Best of luck, Harold
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Alxns,
Glad to see this is sorted.
redcar39, As mentioned on the other thread you posted on today we've got the wireshark capture so I'll make sure this gets looked at.
Where as it may not be the root cause of the problem you are reporting interleaving may be having an affect here, do you want me to try removing that for you in the meantime?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Alxns
Grafter

How would this effect my connection by turning it off would if effect my speed ect?
as my connection is pretty much perfect.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

It can help reduce ping times. But if on the other hands you have no complaints with performance then I would leave things as it is.
Interleaving doesn't have a direct impact on speed but effects the way in which data is transferred so it can make a difference in cases like this. Also if you don't like the impact it has or it dosent' help it can be turned off within 24 hours.
Adam
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Alxns
Grafter

Ehh i think i'll leave it as it is for now thanks Smiley