cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do want to use a BT Homehub 3 or 2 on Plusnet ADSL or FTTC?

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Do want to use a BT Homehub 3 or 2 on Plusnet ADSL or FTTC?

Yes, you could replace the PN router with the HH2 - you'd still need the openreach modem.
You could replace the modem and router with a HH5 - but there are other all in one solutions that you could consider.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

I don't think the HH2 has the fibre uplink port - they didn't come along until the HH3. The HH4 and 5 both have them as well, so you can use the HH5 with a modem as well as on its own - a good option for diagnosing problems if you can revert back to the OR modem for testing purposes.
discodas

Hi
Not sure if this is the right forum, but hear goes, after the 10 day training period my Broad band drops out at the same time (745-815pm) PN support say it could be external interference? but why start after 10 days and nothing has altered in home or neighbors?
They have reported they see the drops and still testing.
Think I might use BT HH2 to see if it still drops? Also once it has dropped my PC will not auto connect have to use trouble shoot to re connect or re-boot (as connection limited) and something about ip address?
Any thoughts or help much appreciated 
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Hi,
You'd best to start a new post.
Thanks
NE
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
Jollyboy

Could you please clarify what the HH5 has to be connected to with the Ethernet cable.
Just spent a fruitless couple of hours trying different combinations with no success.
I have the Technicolour router and an Openreach ADSL modem set-up. I manged to access the HH5 and set the Plusnet user id and password, connected the Rthernet cable to the Plusnet router but nothing.
Any help gratefully received.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You either replace the technicolor router and connect it to the modem, or use it to replace both the router and modem and connect it direct to the VDSL socket on your master phone socket.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

You scrap the Plusnet router and the BT Openreach modem altogether and connect the hub directly to the wall jack where your line comes in.
The homehub 5 has the modem inbuilt which handles fibre.
Regards,
NE
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
Timalay
Grafter

Just bought one of these on Ebay.  Would the CS guys on the phones be able to help with me setting it (if I need the help).
Timalay
Grafter

Also does A Type A home hub work with Plusnet Fibre.
gwyndy
Dabbler

I hate my first post here to be a queation, but I have a problem and I need some advice please.
I bought a Home Hub 5 (Type A) to use on my Plusnet ADSL and when I get to this step
Quote from: NorthEasterner

4 . Click Settings (Along top tabs) then at the bottom you will see 'Enter your Broadband username and password (for non BT Total Broadband customers)'

It isn't there, I have no option in any screen that I can find to enter a "Broadband username and password (for non BT Total Broadband customers", I have tried entering it in the screens that do have usernames and passwords
(in "settings" and "advanced settings" but in both cases I get a message that "The Broadband username that you've entered is either incorrect or is not supported by your BT Home Hub. Please check your username and try again."

I've reset the router twice, without any change in this. What exactly am I missing?
Is there anywhere that I can carry out this step?

Username -   bthomehub@btbroadband.com
Password -
change it to
Username - <yourplusnetusername>@plusdsl.net  (don't include <> )
Password - The password you used to sign up to plusnet.

My hub software is 4.7.5.1.83.8.173.1.6 last updated 06/05/14
Oddly, who has a Home Hub 4 from when he was with BT, says it will accept a made up Plusnet username, but not his Sky broadband one.
Any advice appreciated.
Thanks
Mark
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Hello
Quote from: Timalay
Also does A Type A home hub work with Plusnet Fibre.

Yes, Type A and Type B hubs will work on the Plusnet Broadband Service
Quote from: gwyndy
I hate my first post here to be a queation, but I have a problem and I need some advice please.
I bought a Home Hub 5 (Type A) to use on my Plusnet ADSL and when I get to this step

4 . Click Settings (Along top tabs) then at the bottom you will see 'Enter your Broadband username and password (for non BT Total Broadband customers)'

It isn't there, I have no option in any screen that I can find to enter a "Broadband username and password (for non BT Total Broadband customers", I have tried entering it in the screens that do have usernames and passwords
(in "settings" and "advanced settings" but in both cases I get a message that "The Broadband username that you've entered is either incorrect or is not supported by your BT Home Hub. Please check your username and try again."

I've reset the router twice, without any change in this. What exactly am I missing?
Is there anywhere that I can carry out this step?

Username -   bthomehub@btbroadband.com
Password -
change it to
Username - <yourplusnetusername>@plusdsl.net  (don't include <> )
Password - The password you used to sign up to plusnet.

My hub software is 4.7.5.1.83.8.173.1.6 last updated 06/05/14
Oddly, who has a Home Hub 4 from when he was with BT, says it will accept a made up Plusnet username, but not his Sky broadband one.
Any advice appreciated.
Thanks
Mark

Hi,  Your issue seems to be unaware to me.  When you are in the settings is the router connected to the Openreach modem or if using a hub 5 is it connected to the wall socket? Your <username>@plusdsl.net login should work.  Don't get this confused by your Plusnet email address.
As for your relative, when he enters the 'made up' Plusnet credentials does it grant internet access?
He will not be able to use the Home Hub on Sky since they lock their service to only be used with their supplied routers and no other router (except Sky) will work on his Sky Broadband connection.
Thanks
NE
gwyndy
Dabbler

Hi NorthEasterner.
Thank you for your response
When you are in the settings is the router connected to the Openreach modem or if using a hub 5 is it connected to the wall socket?

Currently I connect via DSL socket to Phone Line (I bought it because we are due to receive FTTC next month)
Your <username>@plusdsl.net login should work.  Don't get this confused by your Plusnet email address.

I will try this again, I will also try to get screenshots of where I am entering the information. I did not realise that I have a Plusnet email address, I hope no-one has ever sent me anything.

As for your relative, when he enters the 'made up' Plusnet credentials does it grant internet access?
He will not be able to use the Home Hub on Sky since they lock their service to only be used with their supplied routers and no other router (except Sky) will work on his Sky Broadband connection.

I don't know if he has actually recieved internet access with them, just that the Hub 4 will accept the entry of a Plusnet username in the box that normally has a BT username.
He used some software to get his Sky credentials which he entered into the Hub 4 (obviously this is of greater concern to him than getting it to work with my Plusnet ones) but it spits him out.
I will replace the Plusnet Technicolor thingy with the Hub 5, and try your suggestions again.
I will try and take screenshots, so you can see what I see.
Regards
Mark
gwyndy
Dabbler

Hi NE.
I put the hub back in this afternoon, initially it swore blind it was connected to BT, and still wouldn't accept the user name. After my third disconnect it did allow me connect as a plusnet customer.
Thank you for all your help.
Mark
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Good Afternoon,
I'm glad your Hub 5 is now working with your Plusnet connection.
As for your friend, the Sky Broadband credentials will not work on a BT Hub.  Only certain credentials are allowed and Plusnet is one of them (since they are owned by BT)
It may be worth suggesting to your friend to purchase the BT Hub 4R version which allows the Hub to connect to any internet supplier (Like TalkTalk, Direct Save Telecom, Zen Internet).
However after looking on Google 'Sky broadband using a different router' you need to extract the user name and password but many people have different experiences.
Another suggestion is that to buy a 'cable' router so it doesn't have a modem inside of it, and then use the Sky supplied router as a modem and connect the Sky router to the 'cable' router and then use that instead.  But this is a slightly more complex set up for the average user.
Many thanks,
NE  Smiley
gwyndy
Dabbler

I may have spoken too soon.
The hub has connected to the internet, however it has dropped my connection twice since my previous message.
It's either:
Power light is red. 
You're not connected to broadband
Press the Restart button and release it when the Power light turns orange. Your Hub will restart and the Power light will glow steady blue. If it’s still red, reset your Hub using a paper clip to press the Reset button on the back of your Hub for a few seconds
or
Broadband light is flashing red
There’s a problem with your broadband line
Check all the cables are plugged in correctly and that it’s after midnight on the day we switch on your broadband
I'm not sure which, as by the time I get from the computer to the hub, it's working again.
Hopefully, it just needs time to "bed in".