cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Daylight robbery, paying for internet that doesn't work. This company needs shutting down!

Conker
Dabbler

Daylight robbery, paying for internet that doesn't work. This company needs shutting down!

Hi

I recently....regrettably....swapped to Plusnet for broadband from TalkTalk. Since the day my connection 'went live' it is absolutely awful. The customer service Plusnet also provide is on the same low level. Over 4 days I have spent over 6 hours on hold. The wifi output on the router does not work, even sat next to the router the wifi comes and goes. The technical support team told me to change the channels and the security settings on the router, that made no impact on the service. I am now told I need a new router although they don't think that is the problem?! I am now having to wait 3 - 5 days for this. I have looked online and reading 150 comments not one of them is positive, surely Plusnet you can not find this acceptable?! You need shutting down as a company, your taking peoples money and delivery NO SERVICE! I also suggested that when I was with TalkTalk there router was brilliant and could we use that, one tech support rep said yes but the phone cut out. When I call back and waited 30 mins for someone to answer she said she can't. I am also waiting for a £75 refund, still no sign of that either! I can honestly say I have never used a company like this, it is beyond awful. How can you have a 14 day cancellation period when the service takes 1 month to switch from my previous provider? 

18 REPLIES 18
krusty
Rising Star

Re: Daylight robbery, paying for internet that doesn't work. This company needs shutting down!

From what you have said, you have issues with your supplied modem router.

First of all what package are you on?

Secondly have you still got your talk talk modem router and what model is ?

(And yes PN are correct you can use your own equipment)

mrmoose

Re: Daylight robbery, paying for internet that doesn't work. This company needs shutting down!

You are so right, they have lost the plot. Been with plus net for a lot of years for home and business but they have to be the worse supplier now. The customer service is second rate and thats if you can get hold of them. We first contacted them 2 months ago to sort the problem of service keep dropping out. We had an engineer visit to say there was not a problem.Well there is. Tried phoning them on 6 occasions since but gave up after being on hold for more that 30 minutes each time. Logged a fault online and 3 days later and engineer turns up and fins a fault with the router. After 90 minutes of trying to phone and using web mail they agree to send out a new router,

with a token 1month free. Told them I would look else where and told it was my choice.Real quality and not what I have paid for

Conker
Dabbler

Unlimited Broadband for 12 months

It is a D Link model DSL-3782

krusty
Rising Star

Right, i had a quick look, the router from talk talk is locked. It is unlockable but I don't know your ability skill.

So we need to troubleshoot the pn modem router.

Have you got a pc with a ethernet port ? If so, can you plug it into the pn router?

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @Conker

Thanks for getting in touch. I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing wifi issues.

I can see that you've discussed this with my colleagues here and here - I note from the first ticket that we offered to send you a replacement router, in case the one you have is faulty, but you refused this offer on the basis that the router would take 3-5 working days to reach you. I can also see from the second ticket that we offered further assistance which you refused as you wanted to speak to a specific agent. Having reviewed the information you were given, I can confirm that the advice offered was 100% correct.

As things stand, I can see that you have raised a complaint via our online portal - this will be picked up and allocated to a case handler shortly and you should expect to be contacted by that case handler accordingly.

In the interim, if there's anything we can do to help, please let us know.

Best wishes

Dave

Conker
Dabbler

Please be aware @RandallFlagg I DID NOT refuse the new router, I am shocked and even more disappointed with this awful company (I didn't think that was possible) that you haven't sent it out when the delivery is 3-5 DAYS! I have to wait even longer. @RandallFlagg I have also looked at the same tickets and find your colleagues notes quite amusing, it is definitely written to make them look as though they are attempting to 'help'. I did not refuse assistance on the second ticket I simply asked for someone to call me back as I was cut off from him in the morning. As for [CSA Removed] who tried to help me on the call, my only impression I received from her is 'computer says no'. Your company needs shutting down, have you seen how many complaints there are on this site! 

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): CSA name(s) removed (to an area staff can see) as per Forum rules.

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@Conker,

Initially I would ask if you'd like us to send you the new router that was offered? At the moment that's still in limbo and you haven't confirmed you actually want it. If so I'll send out a different on to the one you have (it will still be Plusnet branded, but instead of the 2704n router I'll send a Plusnet Hub One router). 

The first agent you spoke to (whom you got cut off from) did try and call you back immediately after the call dropped, he tried to call three times on the same number you rang from but your line was engaged. I've checked his call logs and can confirm this was the case from our call management systems. I would assume that the call dropped as the notes suggest you were swapping over the equipment to go through attempted setup. But can I query as to why you would ask for someone to call you back after waiting in a queue to speak to someone?

As advised the high level escalation will shortly be picked up and dealt with by a case handler, as previously advised. When you submitted the complaint ticket you will have been advised a 5 day lead time for a response to the complaint. 

From what I understand the D Link may be able to be used, though as advised by @krusty this should be able to be actioned and I'm sure the community will happily help you setting up the third party router, if it's something you'd like to try?

To try and help resolve the problem you're experiencing, instead of debating over the service of the calls yesterday (we can listen to them as part of the HLE complaint) we'll need you to perform some checks and confirm once they're done. 

Are you able to hardwire a device into the router (a laptop or desktop PC) and provide some speed test screenshots? This is to confirm that the connection is working without issue and rules out a line problem. While your current experience is over wireless, this does not mean that wireless is purely the issue here. Hardwiring will enable you and us to be able to effectively prove where the issue may lie via a process of elimination.

@mrmoose is there anything we can help you with? I can see you commented but that we haven't addressed your comments yet? If you have a connection issue that you would like investigating it might be worth starting your own post, just to separate it from Conker's to make sure it gets the attention it deserves. 

Conker
Dabbler

Hi sorry @krusty for the late reply I have been working all hours! Yes I am quite techy so hopefully you'll be able to talk me through it?!

Conker
Dabbler

Ok I can make it very clear PLEASE SEND ME A REPLACEMENT ROUTER MANY THANKS. 

I'm not sure what you mean 'But can I query as to why you would ask for someone to call you back after waiting in a queue to speak to someone?' This was the third phone call I made, I was on hold about 10 mins this time and asked for [CSA Removed] to call me back as he was the only person that was confident in helping me to set up the TalkTalk router. As the second person I spoke to [CSA Removed] was not aware how to do this and said she could NOT help me. 

'Are you able to hardwire a device into the router (a laptop or desktop PC) and provide some speed test screenshots? This is to confirm that the connection is working without issue and rules out a line problem. While your current experience is over wireless, this does not mean that wireless is purely the issue here. Hardwiring will enable you and us to be able to effectively prove where the issue may lie via a process of elimination.'

[CSA Removed] on the phone said she checked the speed already? So why do I need to do it again? 

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): CSA name(s) removed (to an area staff can see) as per Forum rules.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Quote fixed.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @Conker

Thanks for coming back to us.

To confirm, I've now arranged for a replacement router to be sent to you along with a returns bag for the original router.

Just in terms of your speed, we've asked you to test using a wired device as we're unable to test the speed WITHIN your premises. We can only test it externally and to the point where it reaches your premises. There are sometimes instances where the speed of a connection will show as being fine from our side but will actually be slow within someone's premises on a wired device - this usually results in an engineer being sent to investigate further. Conversely, if the speed is OK on a wired connection but slow via wifi, this is not something an engineer would be able to resolve - hence our request to ascertain the results of a wired speed test so that we can take the appropriate next steps.

Best wishes

Dave

Conker
Dabbler

@RandallFlagg I have received the new router, the wifi doesn't work on this router so I have attempted to connect my laptop to the router with an ethernet cable......guess what.... IT DOESN'T WORK. Thanks for sending my out more dodgy equipment, any chance of someone answering the phone on your tech support line? I phoned at 7.30am.....its now 8.26am and I have been on hold ever since. That would be great, I realise I am one of thousands of plus net customers experiencing the same but nearly one hour on hold from 7.30am is absolutely shocking. Your company needs shutting down

Conker
Dabbler

So let me get this right. I switched to Plusnet on the 29th October, since then my cable and wifi connection has not worked. I have spent over 8 hours on hold and talking to tech support to try and resolve this issue. I have had a replacement router sent out to me which I plugged in today, and guess what, it doesn't work. In the meanwhile I have had to spend £100 on a dongle for internet just so I can use my laptop! It has taken from 7.30am to 9.10am waiting on hold and speak to an tech guy to establish this. I am now told my internet speed is less than 1mb but Plusnet guarantee speeds from 7-19mbs. However, they can not find a fault on the line... so before this can be elevated to the fault engineers who will investigate this I have to verbally agree to paying £65 if the engineer comes out to find and either can't find a fault or the fault is here! The cost is only paid by Plusnet if they can find a fault....which they couldn't on the phone?! And to top if off it can take up to 7 WORKING days to get back to me about this matter.  Wow, I can see why thousands of people on the internet are horrified with plusnets service. It is absolutely appaling you treat customers like this. You only give customers the option to cancel there contract 14 days after taking the deal out but it took a month for me to switch so how is that fair! I genuinely don't know what to do now?

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

@Conker, just a couple of bits on the £65 charge.  This is only payable by yourself if the engineer turns up and there isn't a fault, which since it isn't an intermittent fault then there isn't any reason why it shouldn't be, or if the fault is with your own wiring which, if you have followed Plusnets advise/troubleshooting (test socket, different router etc...) then that would also not be the case.

That procedure is the same for any ISP on the Openreach network.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

krusty
Rising Star

@Conker

"I have had a replacement router sent out to me which I plugged in today, and guess what, it doesn't work."

what is the status light on the new router?

is the ethernet cable showing as connected on your device?

have you tried pluging the router into the test socket?

has your your master socket got a broadband face plate ?

If not have you got microfilters attatched instead?

if so have you tried changing them?

Theses are some of the questions need answering ?