cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS cannot find server - errors

martin2006
Grafter

DNS cannot find server - errors

hi, i am never happy, i recently puchased a new netgear DGND3300 router and generally works fine but occasionally i get the page below which says DNS error cannot find server. it does it on various pages and generally when i try and click on a link in an email or as  this example speedtest.net link on the pingtest.net site. when i click again straight after its fine. i am using the router wired via ethernet. i think i also get the page which basically says i have no internet connection as well and when i re click its fine. the router isnt disconnectiing according to the system uptime when i check.
to be honest i cant remember if i had the same problem with the old router as i had been having loads of problems with my line anyway.
could this be an issue with the new router or settings
many thanks
9 REPLIES 9
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: DNS cannot find server - errors

Well it works for me.  Smiley
You could hard code the ip addresses of the Plusnet DNS servers into your PC, or into your router (if you have a static ip address).
Details in https://portal.plus.net/my.html?s=0&action=refresh_browser

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

martin2006
Grafter

hi, thnks for reply, 9 times out of 10 it works for me, its just occasionally i get this error and not only on this site could be any, and sometimes its the no internet connection error and then click again and its fine.
strange, i dont really understand what a DNS error is though
VileReynard
Hero

See Wikipedia...
Basically, DNS="Domain Name System" is a service that converts a web site name into an ip address (by doing a lookup on a computer at a known ip address).

martin2006
Grafter

thanks for your help, i will have a look at inputting the ip addresses into my router but might take a bit of investigating, it definately seems to be an intermediate issue though as most of the time its perfect.
ta
martin2006
Grafter

quick update, i found my DNS primary and secondary settings in my profile and also my staic ip address and inputted them into my router settings and it might just be me but webpages seem to opening quicker esprcially after a google search but might just be imagining it. would i need to put this info into my internet explorer settings anywhere.
i'll monitor it and see how i go
thanks for help
VileReynard
Hero

You don't put DNS etc settings into any browser program - but you could put the DNS settings etc into the connection thing in the Windows system.
Any benefit from doing this would be very marginal though.

martin2006
Grafter

OK ta, i'll let it run like this and see how it goes, not sure if this is related but it sometimes seems like the wireless goes to sleep when i'm using my laptop if i havent used it for a bit and when i go to a link it says i have no connectivity and then click again and it says goes online or work off line and then its fine again if i click to go online.
takes a bit of getting used to i suppose
cheers
VileReynard
Hero

Do you have a connection time-out period set in your router?
If so, change it to 0 (zero) = forever.

martin2006
Grafter

hi, the only one i could see was next to the user name and password login setting and was already set to 0. i'll see how it goes over the next few weeks.
thanks for your advice and help, much appreciated