cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could someone be using my line?

Dalesman
Grafter

Re: Could someone be using my line?

Thanks for the two latest, very helpful, replies.

I was forgetting that any attempt to hack the line, though physically easy, needs our PN username and password for authentication before they would get a useful connection.

Regarding the vulnerability of the IP camera, is a restart following a strong password reset sufficient to prevent hijacking?

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

If you look around various parts of this forum, you'll see there are problems with 'invisible' usage, e.g. I have not been albe to see any actual usage since July, but when I did live chat with a PN person, they were able to see it.

Dalesman
Grafter

>>My money is on botnet though!

It seems the camera had indeed been hacked.  I found that a separate password-protected administrator account had been added under the username "CamRanger".  A factory reset was needed to clear everything and start again with a secure password.  Blimey!

MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

Glad you got it fixed, although not glad you got hacked of course!

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/infrastructure/a23504/mirai-botnet-internet-of-things-ddo... is an interesting read, default username/passwords were largely the killer here, but in quite a lot of cases it is vulnerabilities in code that hackers get through not just strong passwords, so always good to make sure you update firmware on things like camera etc too.