Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Continued poor speeds, getting slower and slower + 30mbps cap

andy499
Grafter

Continued poor speeds, getting slower and slower + 30mbps cap

Hi all

At this point I am calling PlusNet every 2 weeks because you keep putting a cap on my line at 30mbps - this speed is absolute garbage and below my contracted MGS 32mbps.

Today I spoke with someone at plusnet who told me my MGS has been LOWERED to 26? How can this be? When I agreed to the contract it was 32mbps - this should NEVER change.

When I first moved into this house in Dec 2020 my speed was around 50-55mbps and ever since it has been getting worse and going slower. I have had 2 engineers sent out by plusnet who did absolutely nothing and told me "its on plusnet side, not the property". Now I cant reach over 36mbps (when you are not capping the speed at 30mbps). Thats 20mbps SLOWER than when I moved in.

You keep increasing your prices and lowering my speed, I have called up to complain so many times but nothing ever gets done properly, the cap gets removed and then 2 weeks later you put it back on. Im tired of it now. I want my 50-55mbps consistent connection back.

Its gotten so bad ive even considered shelling out for StarLink, but the latency is too high at the moment to use for gaming. I would go with Virgin, but we dont have the cables in my area, so Im stuck with BT resellers...

Is someone from PlusNet actually going to help me, or should I just keep calling you First Line Support every 2 weeks and getting nowhere?

11 REPLIES 11
Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

Re: Continued poor speeds, getting slower and slower + 30mbps cap

@andy499 

Plusnet do not 'put a cap on your line' or limit it deliberately in any way. They will provide you with the maximum speed that  the Openreach infrastructure will support on your line, only restricted by your contract upper limit. With very few exceptions any caps are automatically applied by Openreach equipment in their attempts to get the best possible performance from the line. How old is the connection to your property? About 50 years ago there was a copper shortage and BT used aluminium cables. These can be a nightmare on broadband connections.

You are quite correct in saying that the MGS agreed when you took out your latest contract stands. This is only of use if after giving Plusnet a month after you report the fault you wish to leave when, if you have promptly done all testing etc. asked of you, Plusnet will waive cancellation charges. However all that you will probably do is move the problem on to your next ISP.

The first clue as to whether this could be a Plusnet problem is to look into the information available in your hub admin pages. You need to be looking for something like Downstream Sync Speed. If you tell us which hub you have then no doubt help with finding this will be forthcoming.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

andy499
Grafter

Hi thanks,

But on the phone plusnet admitted to me that a cap has been put on the line, this has been done multiple times before.

I am on a Hub 1 but its literally a modem, I dont use it for Wifi - also all tests ive done are on wired.

andy499
Grafter

My speed right now.... awful GarbageSpeed.JPG

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 259

So long as your phone line is error free - dial 17070, select option 2 - after confirmation of your phone number, all you should hear is the regular 'Quiet Line Test' message, you need to report a Broadband fault - https://www.plus.net/help/report-a-problem/broadband/, but if there is noise on the line report a phone fault first - https://www.plus.net/help/report-a-problem/phone/

John
andy499
Grafter

Sorry but I don’t have a house phone.
jab1
Legend

Rather unfortunate - a cheap one is an essential tool for ADSL/VDSL connections. However,I would then suggest you just raise the broadband fault.

John
andy499
Grafter

Yes I have, but they never seem to do anything.

It gets uncapped speeds go up to 36mbps (still garbage, should be getting 50mbps)

Then it gets capped again.

Hence why I’m posting here because Plusnet support don’t do anything to help
jab1
Legend

Have you raised the fault via the link I provided, or merely by phone? If you do it via the link, the test will cause a full examination of the connection, with a resulting response - in text format, rather than an agents idea of what they think they should test.

It may be useful to post the output from: BT Broadband (hiding your phone number)  and BTW Performance Tester (the advanced test), as screenshots.

John
andy499
Grafter

It seems I can only raise a fault for full fibre. I don’t have this.

Does anyone from Plusnet check these forums and can open a ticket to have my speed investigated and tell me the reason my line is being capped at 30mbps so often?
jab1
Legend

That does not seem correct, but as I am no longer a PN customer i cannot check. PN Help Team staff do patrol these forums, but response times are a little protracted at the moment, however, they will get to you.

John
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @andy499,

Thanks for reaching out to us and I'm very sorry to hear about the issues that you've experienced with the speeds on your line. I can see that you've since spoken with our support team and that this issue is being looked into. With that having been said, if you do encounter another drop in speed in another couple of weeks time, please let us know and we'll be more than happy to pick this case up for further investigation. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team