Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant green light before broadband activation

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Constant green light before broadband activation

These questions keep coming up and the on-line help is not easy to find ... so here's another reusable response!

Check you router lights

Your router lights can tell you a great deal about what is happening when things are not as they should be. The colour of the lights and their state will tell you all you need to know ... if only you could find the help sheet which came with the router. That information can also be found in the depths of the on-line help & support guides. The following links make the material easier to find.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

cdavies94
Hooked

So; my Hub2 has now been flashing orange for 2 days (no longer stays green - factory resetting a few times helped it). 

Plusnet customer support say my connection looks good on their end and everything should be fine. However, it's clear that my router isn't receiving any broadband. I've tried logging in manually via advanced settings on the Hub (via a browser), tried different sockets in the flat, yet still no internet. 

They even raised a problem with Openreach who said there was no issue. 

Plusnet customer service seem to not want to help me, but it's been 2 days of no internet and I need to get connected for work. A lady said she would call me at 10am this morning to try again but it's 1pm and I've not heard anything. 

Any ideas?

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

@cdavies94 Can you give us the details requested in my 'Help Sheet' below. I'm aware some of them may not apply, in your view, but they may help us to help you.

For Community members to be able to help, information from these two sites, as screenshots, posted as pictures within the topic, not as attachments:-

BT Broadband(obscuring your phone number) and BTW Performance Tester - Over a wired (Ethernet) connection if at all possible, please report the 'ADDITIONAL DIAGNOSTICS', and sight of the broadband connection status from your Hub (with the 'Username' obscured) would be a good starting point.

For the Hub One -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Troubleshooting > Helpdesk

For the Hub Two -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Advanced Settings > Technical Log > Information

It may also be a good idea to report the results of a Quiet Line Test - dial 17070 option 2 from a (preferably corded) phone. After the confirmation of your phone number, there should be total silence apart from the regular 'Quiet Line Test' announcement. Any other noise - report a PHONE fault first.

If you are unsure about any of the above, please just ask - I am happy to help.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

If Plusnet say that the router is in sync and the light is orange - have you checked the account settings in the router for the WAN interface.  Sometimes the router does not auto set-up correctly.  See the instructions which came with the router.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

@Townman Probably a better idea than mine.😀

John
cdavies94
Hooked

But it's flashing orange, not a fixed orange - doesn't that suggest it's getting absolutely no signal i.e., fixing my login settings won't do anything? 

Having said that, I did try this on the phone with Plusnet support and nothing happened. 

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 74

If I may interject.

How is the Hub connected to the phone line and where. Master socket, is so what type, extension socket?

Using a landline phone do you have a dial tone where the Hub is connected, without a dial tone you'll get a flashing orange light.

Dan.

cdavies94
Hooked

FWIW I don't have a landline phone.

The Hub is connected to a master socket labelled "VDSL2". No filter.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 74

Pity about the landline phone, can you get access to one? Might help with the diagnosis of this issue

Might be an idea to take the front cover off the master socket and try the test socket.

If that doesn't work then I would say a Openreach visit is in order or the Hub is broken.

Dan.

Edit: have you by chance have another DSL cable you can try, it could be that!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Something does not add up here...

1. Customer - router is flashing orange - that means not in sync
  2. Plusnet - the router is in sync (which is why I referred to checking the account setting)

Getting a phone handset in on the line is IMPERATIVE to check...

• There is a dial tone
  • The line is quiet
  • The phone number is correct

A crossed line would give rise to both 1 and 2 being true concurrently ... and Plusnet's remote tests not finding a fault.