Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering an upgrade but ....

FIXED
geehawk
Rising Star

Considering an upgrade but ....

I'm currently on a Broadband package that gives me 2-6mbs connection, most usually I get somewhere around 3, but whatever it's not good enough for me to watch iPlayer and download something. I'm restricted the doing one thing on the internet at a time.

My fault I guess, I moved to a nice cottage in the country (next door to an MOD site, I bet they have faster broadband ...

According to the upgrade pages I could move to Fibre and get

6Mb - Mb download speed (estimated)

n/a - 1Mb * upload speed (estimated)

and

"*A temporary fault has stopped us checking your line speed. This doesn't affect your order. If you're happy to continue without a line speed estimate, please click continue below. Alternatively, call our support team."

Obviously I'm not going to click to continue an order without any indication of the sort of speed I could expect, especially as the cost would be over twice what I'm currently paying. Going to Fibre and only getting 6mb would be double what I'm getting now, but I'm not swapping if that is all I can expect.

Now I have been checking this off and on for the past few months, and the same message is always displayed.

I would suggest that there is no temporary fault stopping a line speed check......

Is there anyway to get my line speed checked other than ringing up and waiting on hold for ages?

4 REPLIES 4
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Considering an upgrade but ....

Have you put your phone number in here BT ADSL Check

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there,

Sorry to hear your estimates aren't being shown on the product change tool. Honestly, I'm unsure why that is. I've checked your fibre estimate now as per the BT checker that Strat linked.

Downstream speed: 6.3 Mb/s to 10.1 Mb/s

Upstream speed: 0.8 Mb/s to 1.2 Mb/s

Let us know if we can help further.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
geehawk
Rising Star

Thanks for the replies, very helpful.

Hmm. The figures are not overly encouraging Sad I'm sure the best I might expect will be in the 6 ballpark, given I'm currently on up to 6 and getting under 3 most of the time. Not sure that's worth the much higher monthly cost.

Guess I'll just have to continue scheduling downloads overnight and not play PS4 online when my Wife is working...

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Fix
Yeah it's not the greatest fibre speed estimate unfortunately Sad let us know if you have any further queries.
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet