cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection to Hub 2 router insecure?

Manxman
Fixes: 1

Connection to Hub 2 router insecure?

Hi all - just got my new Hub 2 going. Every time I try to access it using the 192. etc address, I get a message come up saying that the connection to the Hub 2 is insecure.

Have googled and I think this is ok? Can anyone help please? I took the plunge and logged into one of the admin password screens and then came out again.

Just looking for some reassurance about disregarding the insecure connection that comes up at the outset.

Cheers

11 REPLIES 11
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 258

Re: Connection to Hub 2 router insecure?

@Manxman I have, I think, heard this somewhere before, but as you are connecting on your local network, this is a bit of a non-event.

Who or what is suggesting this? - not an 'anti-virus' program by any chance?

John
jgb
Champion
Fixes: 22

@Manxman I assume that you refer o the "Not Secure" text that appears before the router address in the web address bar once you access the router home page ( or any other page in the router admin)?  I have seen this in various browsers and when accessing various routers, not just the Hub2. As @jab1 suggests I think it is because you are accessing part of the local area network .and not the web.

jab1
Legend

@jgb Didn't think about that, thanks. It will be deemed as such the because it is, by design, over an HTTP connection, a most browsers don't like them - understandable, up to a point.

John
agedgopher
All Star
Fixes: 15

@Manxman 

@jab1 

You get the insecure connection message if you type the 192.etc address in the search bar of your browser.

To avoid this type the address directly into the address bar of the  browser, because I use it often I simply type in 192. and a drop down prompt appears which I then click onto.

Hope this helps

Evan

jab1
Legend

@agedgopher You are still left with the 'insecure connection' icon in the address bar, though.

John
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

I think you can force an HTTPS connection to the Hub Two Manager by prefixing the IP address with 'https://', however most modern browsers will still complain as the hub will be using a self-signed, non-validated TLS certificate. It's fairly common behavour.

You can always use HTTPS and override the warning in your browser if you're worried about information between a device and the Hub Manager being sent unencrypted. If you are concerned about such things across your local network though, then it casts into doubt the integrity of the people you've allowed to connect to your Wi-Fi in the first place Wink

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 77

@jab1 

It depends on the browser what you see

Firefox

Screenshot 2023-02-08 200555.png

Chrome

Screenshot 2023-02-08 195824.png

Dan

jab1
Legend

Fair enough @Dan_the_Van I admit to being 100% Firefox on the laptops and Apple devices,but you clips still both show a warning.

Not an issue in this case, anyway.

John
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 77

@jab1 

knowing you only use Firefox I thought I 'd share with you what chrome users see 😉

agedgopher
All Star
Fixes: 15

Apologies everyone, once I had the option to click on "Plusnet Hub Manager" I have never looked again at the address bar.

Your observations are of course correct, I must learn to look much more closely.

Evan

Manxman
Fixes: 1

Thanks very much for the info everybody. Mind at rest now.

Sorry for delayed response - have been away from email

Regards