cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection speed drop from 4.5 Mbps to 2 Mbps

paulbrett9
Grafter

Connection speed drop from 4.5 Mbps to 2 Mbps

The connection has been restored, and appears to be stable, but I've gone from a 4.5 Mbps service to a 2.0 Mbps service.

BT have replaced a section of cable, but this has either caused additional signal dropout (poor/cheap connections?) or the underlying issue is not actually solved.

Please can you get them back on this?

My support ticket has not been updated by PlusNet in a week!

15 REPLIES 15
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Connection speed drop from 4.5 Mbps to 2 Mbps

Hi Paul, 

As the connection remains stable the speeds should improve automatically over the course of the next couple of days. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
paulbrett9
Grafter

Utter rubbish.  Everybody on the whole street has had their speeds halved.  There's still a fault here.  Fix it!

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I'm sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear but it is right, it's called DLM, dynamic line management. 

I could submit an SNR reset to initiate this process manually but that would be at the risk of being detrimental without us being sure that the connection can remain stable over the next couple of days first. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
paulbrett9
Grafter

If my speed was 4.1 and you said it would increase over the next couple of days to 4.5, then I might have agreed with you.

My speed was however 2.0, and has increased over the last few days to 2.1.  It's never going to get back to 4.5 unless you (and by that I mean BT OpenReach) fix the underlying problem.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

@paulbrett9 Hi - I've just checked your Sync Speed and it's coming in at 3.1Mbps which is within the estimates your line can handle.

xDSL Status Test Summary
Sync Status: Circuit In Sync
General Information
NTE Status:   NTE Power Status: Unknown Bypass Status:  

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 29.0 47.2
SNR Margin: 6.3 6.0
Errored Seconds: 0 145
HEC Errors: 0  
Cell Count: 9425 15136
Speed: 684 3112

Maximum Stable Rate (KBPS): 5696 Fault Threshold Rate (KBPS): 4556
Mean Time Between Retrains (Seconds): 1886 Mean Time Between Errors Upstream (Seconds): 416
Indicative Line Quality: R Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds): 1
Custom Thresholds
MTBR_RED:   MTBE_RED:  
MTBR_GREEN:   MTBE_GREEN:  

The above is a screengrab of the test I've ran. Although I can see your speed is falling within estimates, I am slightly concerned about the amount of errord seconds shown. I was also unable to test your line as you are not with us for your phone, although the results are showing it could be underperforming, perhaps showing hints of an underlying fault. I would suggest contacting your phone provider and asking them to look into this further.

Can I also ask if you are seeing this 2.0Mbps speed on a WiFi device or via a PC/Laptop connected via LAN? 

Thanks 

paulbrett9
Grafter

My Sync rate is currently 3112 kbps / 686 kbps.

I don't know where you're getting 3.1 from, but it certainly isn't from my end.

This is a Core i7 Desktop PC, plugged via Ethernet cable directly into the broadband modem/router.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

@paulbrett9 3.1Mbps is the same as 3.112Kbps, so yes it is from your end.

richi
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Just a thought: Have you tried a Quiet Line Test? On a wired phone, dial 17070, select option 2 when prompted.

Do you hear any clicks, rattles, crackling, hissing, music, voices? If so, it's so much easier to raise a voice fault, which should resolve the underlying issue. Joints can go bad, trees can damage wires, etc.

Most phone lines were never designed to carry anything other than voice, so xDSL speed is on a "reasonable efforts" basis. But get the metallic path working right for voice and you'll generally get the best result for xDSL.

paulbrett9
Grafter

Quiet line test is crystal clear.

Just to be clear, this line has been quite capable of 4.5 - 5.0 Mbps for a good number of months prior to this fault.

BT OpenReach needs to sort out the fault.  There's nothing PlusNet can do except keep on at BTOR on my behalf.  Can you do that please?

Speed currently at 2.1 Mbps (modem sync at 2659 kbps).

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi Paul, 

As we say over 48 hours of solid connection I'm going to try a DLM reset. 

You should see some improvement after 24 hours, keep us posted. If this doesn't help we'll have to look at reporting this as a speed fault for you. 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
paulbrett9
Grafter

A major source of REIN has been located and terminated using tips given by the latest ADSL engineer to visit my property.

Modem sync rate is now 5991kbps, a lot closer to how it used to be. Broadband speeds remain low at around 2Mbps.

Please reset my ADSL/DLM profile again to see if this now resolves the issue.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Your line doesn't look banded, it seems that the speed profile on your account hadn't updated yet.

I've just done that now. Once your connection comes back up you should have improved speeds.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
BenB
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 20

Hi @paulbrett9

Thank you for getting back to us and letting us know how your getting on.

I have reset your profile on your account so you should notice the difference now when you re-test the connection but please do let me know how you get on.

paulbrett9
Grafter

Speed is back up to 5.0 Mbps, so I think this thread can be closed

FYI - The interference was traced using an AM radio tuned to 612 Khz and turning off everything in the property, room by room.

REIN

I thought I would put this here in case it helps anybody else.