cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection Profile is it correct for my Sync Speed?

FIXED
cwaite
Rising Star

Connection Profile is it correct for my Sync Speed?

Can someone working at Plusnet check my Connection Profile to ensure it is set to the correct speed for my sync speed, 

My line is currently syncing at 36990kbps but any speed tests I run from my computer which is hard wired to my router I only get around 28mbps.

I know this often seems to occur on my line where my Connection Profile doesn't seem to follow my Sync speed and often someone at plusnet has to manually put them back in sync.

speed1.png speed2.png

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Connection Profile is it correct for my Sync Speed?

I see your  BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test  failed to display the "IP Profile" values for your connection.

The only way I can get my "IP Profile" numbers is by using the Chromium browser and be in Incognito mode,

and then I can get a result as shown below, on my line currently syncing at 78243Kbps / 19999Kbps -

BTW Performance Test IP Profiles.jpg

cwaite
Rising Star

I have tried downloading Chromium and running incognito mode but still getting the same error message see pic below, also tried Chrome, Edge and Firefox but no joy there either.

I have had this problem in the past where my sync speed comes out of sync with my connection profile this normally happens when my line speed increases but my connection profile seems to stay at the old speed, someone from plusnet usually just resets my connection profile and asks me to drop the wan session and then log back in again which normally fixes the issue!

speed3.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand exactly what you're saying, my line used to have the same problem several times a year, when the Plusnet "Current Line Speed" would get out of step with the BTW "IP Profile", and Plusnet staff would have to manually set the "Current Line Speed" to BTW "IP Profile" rounded down to the nearest 0.1Mbs below and then subtract another 0.1Mbps.

The trouble is that you need to know the BTW "IP Profile" number to know what the Plusnet "Current Line Speed" should be,  as basing the calculation solely on the download sync rate isn't good enough because other factors regarding the line's error correction levels need to be accounted for !

Hopefully a member of staff will come along soon and help you out.

Thankfully I no longer have this problem, as I changed to an ISP where I can set my own IP profile percentage for my line.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 410

For information, the Plusnet 'Current line speed' has no effect on most connections. It is only active on a connection that has a Static IP.

@cwaite so unless you have a Static IP , the Current Line speed being wrong will have absolutely no effect any more.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

cwaite
Rising Star

@MisterW Yes I do have a static IP with Plusnet had it for a few years now, so therefore that would explain why my connection profile keeps going out of sync with my line speed.

Is anyone here available to check my connection profile and adjust it so that it matches my line speed?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,602

Fix

@cwaite wrote:

Is anyone here available to check my connection profile and adjust it so that it matches my line speed?

I've given the profile a kick.

If you can do a single disconnect/reconnect of the session within your router's interface (or just reboot it), you should hopefully see a higher speed.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
cwaite
Rising Star

Thanks @Gandalf That's done the trick, getting speeds more in tune with my line speed now!