Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused about Premium Speeds

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

Re: Confused about Premium Speeds

So does what does that mean? The line is ADSL2+? So is the router not connecting correctly?

No, that means the router is set to ADSL2+. If I'm right it just confirms that your line isn't set to ADSL2+.
There are effectively 3 adsl options on the 21CN network, ADSL2+ ( up to 20Mb ) , ADSL2 ( up to 12Mb ) and ADSL1 ( up to 8Mb ). When it connects the router will negotiate the connection type with the equipment at the exchange ( an MSAN ). If both the exchange and router allow ADSL2+ then it will operate at that, if however either doesn't allow ADSL2+ it will negotiate the best connection type allowed by both ends.  Ok, that oversimplifies it a liitle in that the speed can be reduced to ADSL2 if the line quality isnt good enough for ADSL2+ speeds, but in your case I don't think that applies. Your attenuation is showing as 12db which means you are pretty close to the exchange and the line quality should be fine.
In your case I'm pretty sure that the MSAN is set to ADLS1 and therefore even though your router will allow ADSL2+,  the exchange is limiting it to ADSL1.
Let's hope either Rami,Chris or Mand pick this thread up ( probably not till tomorrow though! ) and check out your line settings again. At least the information you got with the XDSL config command should confirm to them that your router IS set to ADSL2+ and its the exchange that's limiting it!.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

annapp
Grafter

@MisterW,  thanks again for your help, I will add the telnet result to my support ticket, we had no idea this was going to be so involved (I know it shouldn't be), still as of today we are now at about the same download speed as we were before moving to premium!
Annette
annapp
Grafter

Hi,
After posting the telnet result to my support ticket this is the latest response:
"I can confirm the change to ADSL2+ completed on 16 December, and as your router now appears to be configured correctly, it may be that the speed on ADSL2+ will not be greatly different to the speeds you saw on ADSL Max. In the middle of the scale ADSL2+ speeds are unlikely to be much higher, and improvements in speeds are more noticeable at the lower and higher ranges."
I really do not know what to think, the router connection page is still showing the connection as G.992.1 annex A, also on ADSL Max we almost always had downloads speeds of 6500 and now its 6200.
I'll wait and see what the Plusnet guys think tomorrow.
Annette
coastergrotto
Grafter

Annette:
One question that hasn't been asked as far as I'm aware is how far are you from your exchange?  That could make a significant difference to your speeds.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

One question that hasn't been asked as far as I'm aware is how far are you from your exchange?  That could make a significant difference to your speeds.

@coastergrotto, Not very far , the original post  shows the router stats with a downstream attenuation of only 12db, thats about 0.9 km from the exchange according to Kitz.
it may be that the speed on ADSL2+ will not be greatly different to the speeds you saw on ADSL Max. In the middle of the scale ADSL2+ speeds are unlikely to be much higher, and improvements in speeds are more noticeable at the lower and higher ranges."

Well that statement is fine ( and accurate ) but doesnt apply in this case, the attenaution is ONLY 12db , Kitz ( http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php ) reckons that a 12db line should synch at about 20Mb and I tend to agree with that, I've got a line with 13.1 db downstream atten in the office and its synched at 21.9Mb.
Anyway that's all by the by , the router is showing G.992.1, thats ADSL1. AFAIK ( someone correct me if I'm wrong please! ) only the exchange or the router can force  ADSL1 on an ADSL2+ connection.
Now the router is a new Plusnet router, so its ADSL2+ capable, its at the default settings, which is to allow ADSL2+, and the telnet output of xdsl config shows its set to ADSL2+. So in my mind its got to be the exchange which is forcing ADSL1...
So c'mon Plusnet guys ( or gals(Mand)  ), 'If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck'  then there's just a possibility that it IS a duck, despite BT telling you that its not.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

annapp
Grafter

@MisterW, Thank you! What would we do without you:-)
The exchange is down the end of the road, not far at all, about 10mins walk I guess (I'll time it next time!), one of us goes past it almost every day.
Lets see what happens today...
Annette
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

The exchange is down the end of the road, not far at all, about 10mins walk I guess (I'll time it next time!), one of us goes past it almost every day.

How far it is 'in a straight line' is sometimes not quite the true story, since the cables may go by a completely different route . However the attenuation figure, as reported by the router, is a pretty accurate measure of line length. Basically attenuation is more or less proportional to length. Since your router is reporting 11 or 12db attenuation that suggests ( according to the Kitz calculator ) the line is about 0.9 km long, which is a fairly short line and ought to be capable of some pretty good speeds on ADSL2+.
As you say lets see if any of the Comms Team pick this up today.

scootie
Grafter

i know youve run the xdsl info command but can you try the following command and post what it reports on the modulation front
_{Administrator}=>xdsl info expand=enabled
Physical Layer Statistics:
  Modem state:                                  up
  Up time (Days hh:mm:ss):                      0 days, 1:03:20
  xDSL Standard:                                ITU-T G.992.3
  xDSL Annex:                                    Annex A
Mand
Grafter

I've asked someone to do a definitive test for you, and he'll let you know what that says.
ramidoodle
Grafter

Hi Annette
I was trying to run a TAM test (Test access matrix) for your line but the test fails instantly. This might be MSAN confiuration issue, Could you please raise a speed fault on the line so that we can raise this to BTw to reload the MSAN config for this port.
This is likely to be the reason why the router is showing ADSL1 not ADSL2+ modulation.
annapp
Grafter

@Rami,
I have raised a speed fault and am in the process of doing the speed tests.
@Asbo Dog
Hers the results:
{admin}=>xdsl info expand=enabled
Physical Layer Statistics:       
  Modem state:                  up
  Up time (Days hh:mm:ss):      1 day, 5:24:14
  xDSL Standard:                ITU-T G.992.1
  xDSL Annex:                  Annex A
    Channel Mode:              Fast
  Number of reset:              9
  Chipset Vendor info (G.994.1):  Local Remote
    Country code:        B500          B500
    ID:                  BDCM         IFTN
    Specific:            0000          71B9
    Standard rev nb:      00          63
  System Vendor info (showtime): Local Remote
    Country code:        0F00          0000
    ID:                  TMMB         ----
    Specific:            3C61          0000
    Standard rev nb:      00          00
  Bearers generic info          DS        US     
    Payload rate [kbps]: 8128    1024 
    Attenuation [dB]:    12.0         5.0
    Margins [dB]:        13.5         10.0
    Output power [dBm]:  17.5         9.5
G.997.1 Statistics (Current):       
  Failures:
    Line failures              Near end
      Loss of signal (LOS):  8     
      Loss of frame (LOF):    92     
      Loss of power (LPR):  0     
  Performance monitoring:
    Line PM:          Near end
      Error second (ES):    11     
    Channel PM:        Near end Far end
      Bearer 0:
        Code Violation (CV):    0        1     
        FEC:                    0        0     
    ATM data path PM:            Near end Far end
      Bearer 0:
        HEC violation count (HEC):      0        1     
G.997.1 Statistics (last 15 minutes):       
  Failures:
      Loss of signal (LOS):  0     
      Loss of frame (LOF):    0     
  Performance monitoring:
      Error second (ES):    0     
      Bearer 0:
      Bearer 0:
G.997.1 Statistics (last 24 hours):       
  Failures:
      Loss of signal (LOS):  0     
      Loss of frame (LOF):    0     
  Performance monitoring:
      Error second (ES):    0     
      Bearer 0:
      Bearer 0:
Annette
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I think this was what Asbo was looking for
xDSL Standard:                      ITU-T G.992.1
xDSL Annex:                          Annex A
Channel Mode:                      Fast

Confirming that the router is synching in ADSL1 mode.
Hopefully Rami's request for BTw to reload the MSAN will sort it out.
Lets hope that Rami sees the speed fault ticket before the CSC process it as a 'standard' speed fault and start messing with interleaving etc...

scootie
Grafter

yes hopefully a gd kick to the msan will sort it.
have you tried the http://community.plus.net/library/hardware/forcing-adsl-modulation-on-thomson-585v7/
if your willing to give it a try use the adsl2 force( xdsl debug multimode config=g992.3_annex_a ) and then check afterwards when its synced with the ( xdsl info expand=enabled ) command to see what it says if the DLM has over rid the force to use adsl2 then its defo the msan at fault.
use the multimode command to switch back to the default setting, remember to use the save all command after
(xdsl debug multimode config=t1.413issue2+g992.1_annex_a+g992.3_annex_a+g992.3_annex_m+g992.5_annex_a+g992.5_annex_m)
annapp
Grafter

@Rami, you've done it! Seems you got through to BT at last my router is now reporting:
time: 0 days, 0:11:02
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,067 / 19,563
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 5.5 / 12.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 10.5 / 6.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 102 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 9 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 12 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 1 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 1 / 1
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 1
Do I presume at some point the IP profile/line speed will change from the current 6500? Or am I getting too hopeful for that possible extra speed:-)
@MisterW, you were of course right all along, the problem was BT!
Thanks again
Annette
scootie
Grafter

you should see a 17000 profile at that sync rate, and should be a quick update of profiles
look here for more info on profiles http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm#IPprofile_increase_time