Did you mean: 

Chaps authentication failed.Tplink td w-9980 suddenly no internet conncetion

FIXED
Kristo1990
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Chaps authentication failed.Tplink td w-9980 suddenly no internet conncetion

Hello everyone,

This morning my Internet connection suddenly went off. I am using a tplink router and I did a system log which comes out with some ppo timeout errors.

I found a similar post and I will post a screenshot of it.

Anyone has experienced the same issue?

I have reset my router and configure the connection again from scratch. Still same outcome.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Kris
15 REPLIES 15
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: Tplink td w-9980 suddenly no internet conncetion

Is your phone line still working?
Kristo1990
Dabbler

I don't have a landline atm but from the tests that the person did when I called them it seems that is working. And to be honest I don't see any reason why it shouldn't I even tried the other socket that is inside the one I am using and still the same outcome. Must be some fault in the area I guess but I am not sure. It's been working really well until this morning.
Kristo1990
Dabbler

Still no internet and there is no help from anyone Sad I am checking my routers system log and now comes out with an error saying ppp0 lcp down, ppp0 failed to authenticate ourselves. Seems that either plus net has issues with their ppp0 server or they have blocked me for some reason?Huh
Browni
Aspiring Hero

Or your phone line isn't working?
Kristo1990
Dabbler

Why would randomly my phone line stop working? I can't understand.
Browni
Aspiring Hero

It may not have done but the 1st step in troubleshooting is ensuring the phone line works!
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Your phone line may have a fault, it can happen at any time, do you understand now?

Kristo1990
Dabbler

Hello browni thank you for your replies. Atm I don't have a landline to test my phone line. Aren't plusnet supposed to do this check. I was with them twice today and all they said is that they have assigned my case to the faults team and that I need to wait 72 hours 😥. I am not sure brother. All I know is that my Internet connection was perfectly fine until this morning.
Kristo1990
Dabbler

And if so,how do I make sure that my phone line has a problem?isn't that up to my ISP?
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

You either borrow a corded phone or spend £5.99 at Argos. I'm afraid that if you want to get things fixed as quickly as possible with advice from community members then you have to be prepared to help yourself rather than just leave it to Plusnet.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Kristo1990
Dabbler

Hello thanks for your reply. Your interest is really appreciated but I don't think that's something wrong with the line. It has to do with the ppp0 plusnet server not authenticating my device,router. My router system log comes back with Chaps authentication failure error. Which I am not sure why,I haven't changed my password or anything like that so I believe the fault is on plusnet end. I have read some other posts too and thereven have been issues like this one in the past. I will try to get a phone though plug it in and see how it goes.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

If your phone line is broken, then of course you will not be able to authenticate. 

Kristo1990
Dabbler

I will try and get a device to plug in and I will update you with the results. Thank you for your replies.
Kristo1990
Dabbler

Re: Chaps authentication failed.Tplink td w-9980 suddenly no internet conncetion

Fix

Ok it turns out that my username was wrong which is true.

First things first is to hold down the reset button on your router for 20 secs, so it can delete any network connection settings plus get rid of the stuck PPPOE session.

Now..I was trying to put down myusername@plusnetdsl.net instead of myusername@plusdsl.net which it was wrong.

Therefore the other issue is that on the TP LINK router settings the VLAN ID has to be 101 which i didn't know.

ISP: OTHER --> Enable VLAN(check)---> VLAN ID = 101--> connection type PPPOE(over ethernet).

The other day one guy from plusnet technical support was trying to convience me that the connection type has to be dynamic ip which was wrong.

Anyway I hope this will help other people in the future and thanks everyone for the support on this topic.