cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Business broadband: My static IP address is listed on dnsbl.sorbs.net

adrianstephens

Business broadband: My static IP address is listed on dnsbl.sorbs.net

I have my own consultancy.  I wish to send emails from my own domains using my own server.

However,  I have to send my emails via a paid mail relay service.

The reason is that the static IP address assigned by PlusNet to my line is listed on dnsbl.sorbs.net.

When I go there and attempt to de-list the IP address,  I cannot.

dnsbl.sorbs.net tells me that the entire IP address block from which my address has been drawn has been

administratively (i.e., by plusnet) added to the blocked list of addresses.  dndbl.sorbs.net are unable to change that.

It's a case of "talk to your administrator".

So,  some while ago,  I had a conversation with PlusNet business tech support.    They explained that they knew little
about that kind of thing, and that the static address is what it is, and how I used it was up to me.

So,  I've fallen between the cracks.  PlusNet don't have the technical expertise to support me,  as a business customer
doing what it's quite reasonable for a business customer to want to do - host their own infrastructure.

All I'd like is an IP address that does not appear in a blocking service.  It's easy to check - e.g. (https://whatismyipaddress.com/blacklist-check).    Is this too much to ask for?    It appears that it is.

Regards,

Adrian Stephens,   Cambridge UK

2 REPLIES 2
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Re: Business broadband: My static IP address is listed on dnsbl.sorbs.net

Good morning @adrianstephens, thanks a lot for getting in touch and I'm really sorry to hear about the problems that you've been having here. I'll do what I can to help. 

To start off, have you tried using relay.plus.net as your "smart host" when sending emails? It's definitely worth giving that a o.

See how you get on with that and let me know if you continue to have any issues at all. Smiley 

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Business broadband: My static IP address is listed on dnsbl.sorbs.net

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Broadband to Email

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'