cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband speeds

missenden
Dabbler

Broadband speeds

I know this is a hardy perennial (looking thro' old posts), but my connection speeds have slowly dropped over the months. There has been no change in my equipment or settings. Speed used to be a consistant 3.8 Mbps, but hav dropped in steps to 2.9Mbps.
A BT speed test gave :- configured 2500 kbps, connection rate 2912 kbps,
and achieved 2274 kbps.
Is this a BT problem, or PlusNet?
The configured rate looks low. Who sets this?
Regards
12 REPLIES 12
James
Grafter

Re: Broadband speeds

BT set it.  For your connection rate, the IP Prpfile is actually correct.
If your connection speed increases, the profile speed will also do so.
Useful Reading Here.
missenden
Dabbler

Thank you James for your reply.
From other posts and reading the Plus net guide it would seem that the BT system tends to "ratchet" down the speed. eg if you log on when it is busy , with consequent low speed,  BTwill take this as the new "datum". You therefore go slower and slower!
I've checked my line speed with BT, and that shows up to 4Mbps, which is as it was.
I reboot every day.
Is there anything else I can do to up the speed? Can you "ratchet" up?
Regards
James
Grafter

Not quite.  Your connection speed is the synchronisation speed, the speed at which your router synchronises with the exchange.  It shouldn't be imacted by a busy period of time.
When you say that you have checked your line speed, how do you mean?  Do you mean you have checked BT's avasilability checker?  This is only an estimation.
missenden
Dabbler

James
Line speed was checked with Plusnet Tools - Exchange status  checker.
A thought - I do not have a router, it is a USB modem. Is this significant?
Regards
James
Grafter

Yeah, that'll use the BT checker.  It is only an approximation though.
Having a USB Modem isn't an issue. The synchronisation speed will be the speed at which your modem connects with the exchange at Smiley
missenden
Dabbler

I've done a reboot on a daily basis over the last few days, but with no improvement. In fact the speed is dropping!
Now 2.6 Mbps. Profile check has dropped to :-
Configured 2000kbps
Down connect rate 2624 kbps
Actual 1833 Kbps
Since it was much higher before, month after month, something has happened.
Is there anything that can be done?
Regards
James
Grafter

It's possible that there may be an internal wiring or filtering issue that is causing a gradual decline.  I'd recommend trying a different filter and ensuring that you are connecting into your master socket via a filter and see if the connect rate improves at all.
Incidentally, I used to get the bus through your little village/town every day Smiley
pcoventry76
Grafter

That's good advice i struggled to get a decent speed until a BT engineer fixed a bare and spliced wire in my master socket, took most of the noise away.
missenden
Dabbler

The speed continues to drop and is now hovering around 2 Mbs. I've changed the filters, and checked wiring for good connections which seem OK.
What's the next step?
saracen

Strange that ..... if your username is indicative of the "Great" place you live, I live ~7 miles up the road and my speed is also dropping tho on a diff exchange. I have also started to get dropouts etc. I was ~2Mb but now down to 1.3Mb nd the worst "speed test" results ever!!  Angry
Will have to get onto PlusNET me feels.
pcoventry76
Grafter

Quote from: missenden
The speed continues to drop and is now hovering around 2 Mbs. I've changed the filters, and checked wiring for good connections which seem OK.
What's the next step?

dont nplug your router for a start, everytime you do your BT profile takes a nosedive
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Only if your sync rate drops.