Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Intermittent sometimes every 10secs

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Broadband Intermittent sometimes every 10secs

Sorry to hear you're still having issues.

I can see you've raised a fault regarding this.

I'll update that for you shortly.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
niallcampbell
Grafter

0.82mbps download this morning after lots of disconnects hmmm......

niallcampbell
Grafter

Help! Anyone able to decipher this?

Screen Shot 2018-03-03 at 23.12.57.png

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

From what we can see your connection is a lot more stable this week.

How have things been recently?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
niallcampbell
Grafter

Greetings Gandalf

Things have been still intermittent - had to reboot a number of times - hence session start and close bits.Can you decipher my previous post with PPP showing?

I am in contact with TP Link still.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hey Niall.

Unfortunately I don't know what those logs in your router means.

Might be worth trying a different router if you can?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
niallcampbell
Grafter

Hi Gandalf
Ok thanks for reply - I think I am opting for different ISP rather than router as this is 3rd one I have (including a PN one) used with similar issues.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

I think I might have lost the plot here - your topic title claims that the broadband connectivity is intermittent, sometimes every 10 seconds.

The VR plot provided by Plusnet does not support this being down to line or ISP provided components of your connection.  The router log extract simply shows a single connection being established which ties in exactly (setting aside DST time shift) with the VR plot.  If you have evidence of multiple occurrences of this, it would be useful to see it.

Possibly time to go back to basics - exactly what are you experiencing, as the evidence seen so far does not point to a xDSL issue.  So we are looking at wifi or a PC / OS issue.  A wifi disconnection every 10 or so seconds does have echoes of dual band wifi devices flip-flopping between 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands where the SSIDs are identical.

Those logs look like they are from a TP Archer router, so not a router supplied by Plusnet.  I'm aware that their wifi can be temperamental, requiring the router to be rebooted or to manually disable and re-enable the wifi SSIDs through the router's admin GUI.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I'd share @Townman 's view on this . Moving to another ISP won't necessarily solve your problem. If it were the fault of the ISP due to an intermittent line fault or equipment fault then this would show up on the VR plot.

Most ISP's use the same equipment at the exchange, the exceptions being Talk Talk & Sky who do have their own LLU set up, but the internet feed still travels along the same cable. In any case the evidence doesn't support a line problem

You can help by describing exactly your set up,

• Are you on standard ADSL or Fibre / VDSL?
  • Do you have a Master socket and is your router connected directly to it ?
  • Have you tested for Phone Line noise with a wired phone? result ?
  • What other telephonic equipment is installed and connected and how ?
  • How is you computer connected to the router:? Cate 5e Ethernet cabling or wifi ?
  • Are  wifi extenders are installed.?
  • What other IT equipment do you have, & how it is connected?

niallcampbell
Grafter

Hi Townman
Sure you haven't lost the plot - sure it's me.
I am open to all suggestions but am technically confused - if it is my end then I will find out shortly.
I can see there are many that are obviously tech savvy - plugged directly Ethernet cat 7 cable - iMac - tplink archer vr2800 (recommended PC mag) - maybe they are all not compatible - who knows? I don't. Thanks for offering help.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Niall,

That is really helpful.  May I just confirm my understanding...

• Its a TP Archer VR2800 - there does not appear to be any firmware updates available - its only around a year old
  • You are using an iMac - bit of a grey area for me, but I am aware that these products have shown issues with IPv6 configured and where there are 2.4GHz and 5GHz identical SSIDs available
  • The iMac is plugged directly to the router using an Ethernet cable - are you sure that WiFi is disabled on the iMac?

Suggest that you look at...

• The TP's connected device list to see if the iMac is listed several times - WiFi (both bands) - LAN - each having different MAC addresses
  • The TP WiFi SSIDs - disable 5GHz - look for improvements
  • Then disable 2.4GHz and check again
  • Disable the WiFi interface on the iMac
  • The iMAC's protocol stacks - try turning off IPv6

If any of the above 'fix' the issue, we will have a better insight into what is happening here.

I rather suspect that the iMac is connection hopping - Ethernet / 2.4 GHz / 5GHz and that there is some (remote) possibility that the IPv6 stack could be problematic - as its not used, it might just as well be disabled.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

niallcampbell
Grafter

Hi Townman

Yes, VR2800 less than a year old

iMac, not using wifi or ipv6 - helpline told me not to use it?

If reading right - you are suggesting that the iMac is randomly using different SSID (exactly what is this) though have wifi turned off. 

Will also look at checking off your list.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

SSID is the wifi network identifier.

Where there are both 2.5GHz and 5GHz wifi networks present with the same SSID and same password, there are reports of problems with iDevices flip-flopping between the bands.

Some people also presume that because a network cable is plugged in, it is used in preference to a wifi connection - this cannot be assured unless the wifi is turned of on either the device or the router.

There is some possibility here that the problems are all with the iMac.