Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blue light but no internet

dbzocchi
Hooked

Blue light but no internet

Hi,
Sorry for posting this as I know it's probably a frequently asked question, but at 7pm my router finally turned blue but there was no internet. I've got my old setup ready to go and the new router wired up to see when the connection was live.

Setups are as followed
Previous setup (with EE)
Socket > open reach modem > tplink ax50
New setup
Socket > hub Two

I previous configured the old setup with the @plusdsl username and password and correctly set everything up so when I connected the adsl to the OR modem it should have gone live but it will not connect.

I looked at the H2 settings it says setup@ so I tried those credentials in the ax50 and it connected kinda, the Internet worked for about 15 seconds partially loading pages, then stopped.
I've tried all the username and passwords back and forth on both routers and the only thing that'll connect is @setup with no Internet

What should I do now?
Thanks in advance
16 REPLIES 16
ksaro1
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Blue light but no internet

@dbzocchi  FWIW I have the same setup as yourself, i.e. PN Hub 2 connected to the ONT and AX 50 as an Access Point(AP).

You didn't mention if you are full fibre, but this post is in that discussion group, so I'll assume so. If the ONT box supplied by Openreach shows green lights, then you are officially connected to the internet.

You shouldn't need to login to anywhere on your AX 50 if you have it configured as an AP. I just connect one LAN port on the AX 50 to one LAN port on the Hub 2 and voilá I'm on the internet on my AX 50. You do want to make sure the DHCP server on your AX 50 is OFF, as the Hub 2 assigns all IP addresses on your home network.

However, you don't need to use the Hub 2 if you don't want to. The AX 50 can connect directly to the ONT thereby bypassing the Hub 2 router. If you do this, then you will need to login to PN via the AX 50 and you'll need to put it into router mode.

You don't mention what process tells you that you don't have any internet other than some web pages loading? If clients on your home network report no internet that can also be a wifi issue. If they lose their wifi connection to the AX 50, or Hub 2, then they'll show no internet. Have you logged directly into your Hub 2's admin interface? Or the AX 50's admin interface? The Hub 2 should be on IP address 192.168.1.254 (I can't recall what the initial password is, as I've changed it on my Hub 2). Then you'll have to look on the Hub 2's list of connected devices to see what IP address it has assigned to the AX 50. You can then login to its IP address for its admin interface.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@dbzocchi  Welcome to the Community forum.

First of all you have posted on the Full Fibre (FTTP) board but your description of your previous service suggests that this was FTTC, that is, fibre or fibre extra. Which service have you joined?

Are you a new customer, was your service only activated yesterday and is it working today?

If not I suggest that you start with just the Hub 2 plugged in and factory reset it by pushing a paperclip or similar in the reset hole on the hub. Keep the switch closed until you get a green light. Leave the ax50 until this is working.

If that doesn’t work then come back here. Let us know how you get on anyway.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

dbzocchi
Hooked

Hi,
Sorry for the late reply, had some phone issues, it's FTTC not FTTP I have started this post in the wrong section.

The broadband is still not active, will only connect with setup@ and the Internet doesn't work.

I paid for 65mbps guaranteed 47mbps, with EE I was getting 70mbps without issue for 3 years, however I have just signed into the member area and it says my speed is now decreased to 40mbps.

I'm not wanting to replace my OR modem with the Hub 2, my setup should work as it is but I could be wrong, I've only got the hub2 out of the box just to test and make sure everything is active before switching over to my old setup. Plusnets website say this is fine (somewhere) thanks for the help
Baldrick1

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Full Fibre to Broadband.

Moderator and Customer

Baldrick1

@dbzocchi wrote:
..... I'm not wanting to replace my OR modem with the Hub 2, my setup should work as it is but I could be wrong, I've only got the hub2 out of the box just to test and make sure everything is active before switching over to my old setup.

I'm not suggesting that you permanently swap. As I understand it you've tested it with the Hub 2 and it doesn't work. If you leave it in this mode it makes fault finding easier for every-one and when it's working you can revert to your 2 box solution.

Moderator and Customer

dbzocchi
Hooked

Apologies, that part of the message was for the other person that replied, I'm sorry if it came off the wrong way, it is currently setup with the hub2 only. I appreciate that you got back to me
Baldrick1

@dbzocchi 

Have you tried manually inputting your account username in place of setup part of the username (<username>@plusdsl.net) and password?

Note that before doing this you MUST drop the connection. The easiest way is to just remove the DSL cable and replace it after you’ve changed it. This should fix the proper username and password in the hub.

Moderator and Customer

dbzocchi
Hooked

I did exactly as you suggested,
- was connected with setup@plusdsl.net
- pulled dsl cable
- refreshed page, entered myusername@plusdsl.net with my password
- connected dsl cable
- keeps saying disconnected, log says authentication failed but the username and password is correct, I just manually logged into my plus.net account (instead of autofil) and it worked
Baldrick1

@dbzocchi 

Did it retain your username after you reconnected the DSL cable? If not then did you save the changes before reconnecting?

Failing that I would report a fault, see  https://www.plus.net/help/report-a-problem/

Moderator and Customer

dbzocchi
Hooked

Yes it, the configuration saved and is still set to the myusername@plusdsl.net
Edinburgh_wg
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

But 'myusername' should be replaced with the username that you got from Plusnet.
dbzocchi
Hooked

I know, I didn't know if I'm allowed to write personal information, I just put it as a placeholder
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 74

@dbzocchi 

is your issue now resolved and you have a working internet connection? If so I'd suggest marking the thread as fixed to prevent the need for any further comments. Message 9 would be my choice.

It has been noted before using autofill for a word adds a space at the end of a word, unlike using a saved passwords which would not.

Dan.

dbzocchi
Hooked

No Internet still, and I have been typing it manually to be certain