cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT speed checker U/S for several days

edgeways
Grafter

BT speed checker U/S for several days

Is anyone else experiencing more than usual difficulty with the BT Speed test.?
For several days and despite many attempts at all times of day, the BT tester returns the message " unable to carry out test on your connection"
I know that the tester has always been a bit flaky, but it suddenly seems unusable.
This seems to have occured since the appearence of the new click boxes to select Adsl copper or Fibre.connection.
Is this coincidence or are others now experiencing the same problem ?
Mike ( edgeways)
216 REPLIES 216
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: BT speed checker U/S for several days

Just done one about 10 mins ago..  (it still tends to "hang" once you have pressed the GO button..... for about 2 mins..)

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download Speed
                                                  2990 Kbps

0 Kbps                                                                4000 Kbps
                                                                               Max Achievable Speed
Download speed achieved during the test was - 2990 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1200-4000 Kbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 3500 Kbps

and also did one yesterday about the same time... (see Feedback board for result)
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Mike,
I've just done one from home and although it's not the quickest it did do it eventually. I may be mistaken but if I remember correctly a few people a while back had problems because they didn't have the latest java update.
Jojo Smiley
linux
Grafter

I have experienced exactly the same problem as the OP. I haven't been able to complete the test since BT changed their speedtester page format on 5th February.
Grafter

Working OK here on Windows 7, IE 8 and Java 6 U23, although slow to respond as stated by the other posters.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I've just about given up on it as it usually times out. Roll_eyes and as an essential part of PN's fault diagnosis it's garbage ATM.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
linux
Grafter

The speed test asks for either a telephone number or a "Service ID". It describes the Service ID as follows:
This is another identifier like telephone number that uniquely identifies your broadband service. You need to call your ISP to get this Service ID. Check FAQ section for more details.

Perhaps it's worth us trying the Service ID instead, since it sounds as though it is directly related to the broadband service.
Where do we find our Service ID?
linux
Grafter

An earlier thread (here) suggests that the Service ID can indeed fix the BT speed tester in cases where the telephone number does not work, though perhaps only for FTTP connections or something.
May I suggest that Plusnet provide the Service ID via the portal, perhaps under Connection Details.
edgeways
Grafter

Further to my original post on this issue , the Bt tester still remains  totally unusable here.
It is definitely not the Java problem as I have the latest version of Java (incidentally if you do not have the correct java, the Bt system informs you of this and would prevent going any further with the test.) Not the issue in my case.
The tester gives this error message after a few minutes::-
"The Performance Tester is currently unable to run a speed test for your broadband connection. Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider."
Has anyone ever raised this issue with support and if so what was the outcome?
The tester has remained totally unusable now for over a week after countless attempts always resulting in the same error message.
As  I indicated earlier, this seems to have been coincident with the arrival of the new adsl or fibre check boxes.
Re the suggestion of using the service ID as well as the phone number,
I would like to try this,but how do we find the plusnet service ID?
Thanks, All, for your suggestions so far. Anymore ideas ?
Mike (edgeways)
linux
Grafter

Quote from: edgeways
Has anyone ever raised this issue with support and if so what was the outcome?

Yes, I raised a support question on Wednesday and in reply was told to use www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk instead.
I'm still waiting for my Service ID. If some kind support person could append my Service ID to question #39935402 then I'll give it a try.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi linux,
I've sent your ticket through to you with your service ID.
Jojo Smiley
edgeways
Grafter

Thanks, Linux, for your reply..
It seems that the response from support was somewhat below par !
The PN speed tester, as recommended by support, does not give IP profile details, which is why we use the BT tester ( or try to at least ).
Rgds.
Mike (edgeways)
linux
Grafter

Thanks Joanne.
I tried the BT speed tester first with my telephone number, then with my Service ID. Alas they gave the same error as before, though at least the Service ID attempt failed more quickly (seconds instead of minutes).
Then I tried the BT speed tester with both telephone number AND Service ID. This gave a different error message (numbers replaced by XXX):
Performance Tester is unable to run the speed test for your telephone number: XXX and Service ID: XXX. Please check that it is the correct telephone number/Service ID for your service. Did you follow all the instructions given on the website, before initiating the speed test. If not, then please follow all the instructions carefully and try to run the test again. If you believe it is the correct telephone number/Service ID for your service and you have followed all the instructions then please ask your Service Provider whether you can use Performance Tester to test your Broadband speed. If this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI linux,
I can only suggest you use our broadband speed test then.
Jojo Smiley
edgeways
Grafter

Hi linux  or anyone else who had problems with this issue. Is the problem solved at your end ?
I remain unable to get the BT tester to work, having tried many times for getting on for three weeks !
Is anyone else still having this problem or am I on my own here ?
Of course the Plusnet tester works OK, but it does not report the actual BT IP profile.
Having the current BT profile is very usefull if the plusnet profile has failed to catch up with an increase in the BT profile and needs a "kick" from support to reset it.
I just can't begin to imagine where to get such a problem fixed. I guess that it is not within the remit of PN support as it seems a trivial issue, but I would like to be able to have the facility back as an insurance against future speed issues.
Any observations appreciated,
Mike (edgeways)
PS The error message is  :
The Performance Tester is currently unable to run a speed test for your broadband connection. Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider.