cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Openreach replacing the FTTC modems?

TBSteve
Grafter

BT Openreach replacing the FTTC modems?

Hi heard from a college who, has BT Infinity, that BT Openreach are replacing the original modems, due to poor reliablilty, and a risk of fire.
I would assume these are both due to overheating.
Is this only for BT Inifinity customers, or will BT Openreach be replacing all supplied modems, i.e. to us PN customers?
6 REPLIES 6
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: BT Openreach replacing the FTTC modems?

Is this only for BT Inifinity customers, or will BT Openreach be replacing all supplied modems, i.e. to us PN customers?

Yes, we're going to be taking part in this replacement service. We've just been working through some of the logistics and content for the letter that'll be sent to those who are affected.

BT Openreach are replacing the original modems, due to poor reliablilty, and a risk of fire.

The modems are being swapped out due to reports of connection problems with some of the earlier installed ones. The problems only became apparent for a small number of people who had their modem installed before mid-August 2011, however anyone who had a modem installed prior to this date will be contacted for a replacement.
If your modem is due to be swapped out you'll receive a letter over the next few weeks to arrange an appointment.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
JEB
Grafter

I'll be on the list as I've had FTTC for quite a while.
Is there really any need for an appointment just to unplugging the old modem and plugging a new one in its place as this means taking time off work?  I'll happily swap the modem myself if you post me a replacement.

James
Chris
Legend

The process will be explained in the letter and FAQ along with appointment slots (these include weekends).
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend

Hi all, just to clarify the point on the modem being a fire risk. We’ve been in discussion about this and there isn’t a risk of fire from the modems. What’s actually been happening is that in a small number of cases an internal component has reached a particular temperature and this causes the connection to drop or hang, obviously not ideal and the reason behind swapping all the modems that could potentially be affected.
grahamt
Rising Star

Have the recipients and content of the HG612 replacement letter been finalised yet?
I had FTTC installed on 8th August (well, actually the installation wasn't finished until the 9th - long story - but the first engineer arrived with the HG612 modem on the 8th.) So I'm on the borderline between replace/not replace.
Is there a date after which I can assume I'm not going to get a letter?
Graham
TBSteve
Grafter

I believe the new ones have 2V or 3B in large writing on the back.
http://stuff.futile.net/fttc/modem.jpg