Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attention of orbrey/Matt Taylor - PlusNet Comms Team - Thread from old forum

frattonpark
Dabbler

Attention of orbrey/Matt Taylor - PlusNet Comms Team - Thread from old forum

Guys,
You were investigating a problem I have been encountering with high ping rates lately, particulalrly noticeable on CSS.
Your last post to me:
"I can see that interleaving has been on your line for a while and it looks like the line profile hasn't updated in a while (at least, your sync speed of 6.5mb does not match up with the 1152 maximum stable rate and 806 fault threshold rate that BT have marked your line as.
If you go to http://www.speedtester.bt.com and advise of the results we can look at this, though removing interleaving may well have a positive effect on the ping times - this is a modify order with BT and completed within 24 hours. Please let us know if you'd like to go ahead with this and we will arrange it for you, though please bear in mind that this can lead to instability in some cases."

You advised that interleaving was ON and I should consider having this switched off. My understanding that this could cause data loss between 3 - 50% subject to how clean my line is.
You also advised me to run the BT speed test, I've run this twice and the results of this are below:
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Assured Rate IP profile on your line is - 6500 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 5749 kbps
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Assured Rate IP profile on your line is - 6500 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 5834 kbps
Could you please offer your advice. I'm happy to have interleaving off if you recommend this and try to see if ping rates are improved
9 REPLIES 9
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 6

Re: Attention of orbrey/Matt Taylor - PlusNet Comms Team - Thread from old forum

Hi,
Interleaving works best on unstable lines or lines with lots of data or which see "noise spikes". If it's stable at 6.5Mbps then switching interleaving off probably won't cause any problems (and if it did we can always switch it back on). As such I would recommend switching it off. On some accounts you can do that yourself, if you go to Connection Settings on the portal there may be an Interleaving button to switch it off. It's not there on every account so don't worry if you don't see it, if it's not there just raise a ticket and we'll process it for you.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
Be3G
Grafter

Re: Attention of orbrey/Matt Taylor - PlusNet Comms Team - Thread from old forum

Just out of curiosity Dave, what determines whether or not the interleaving option is there for the user?
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 6

The interleaving button is only there if we know the status of interleaving on the line. Most orders to upgrade to Max and new provide orders are submitted with interleaving on and for these the button should be there. For some the order was either submitted with the status as "auto" or it was placed manually and the status not saved in the database. For these the button won't be there because it doesn't know what to change it to/from.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
Be3G
Grafter

Ah Ok, thanks Dave. (And apologies for the deviation from the topic, but I thought it'd be useful to know.)
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: dave
For some the order was either submitted with the status as "auto" or it was placed manually and the status not saved in the database. For these the button won't be there because it doesn't know what to change it to/from.

If you manual set the interleaving status for those accounts, does the button then get added?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Adam1V
Grafter

Fratton,
I assume your the only person using the internet during these lag problems? CSS is very bandwidth hungary, and just having someone else surfing the net (something like myspace for example with alot of images/songs) has a detrimental impact on CSS.
Adam
frattonpark
Dabbler

Quote from: Adam1V
Fratton,
I assume your the only person using the internet during these lag problems? CSS is very bandwidth hungary, and just having someone else surfing the net (something like myspace for example with alot of images/songs) has a detrimental impact on CSS.
Adam

Yep, its only me. I noticed the change when they upgraded me in theory to 8mb, I think its more like 6
frattonpark
Dabbler

Quote from: dave
Hi,
Interleaving works best on unstable lines or lines with lots of data or which see "noise spikes". If it's stable at 6.5Mbps then switching interleaving off probably won't cause any problems (and if it did we can always switch it back on). As such I would recommend switching it off. On some accounts you can do that yourself, if you go to Connection Settings on the portal there may be an Interleaving button to switch it off. It's not there on every account so don't worry if you don't see it, if it's not there just raise a ticket and we'll process it for you.

Hi,
I've raised a ticket for this but have not had an update. Have switche4d interleaving off for me?
Thanks
James
Grafter

Hi there,
I've replied to your ticket and placed an order to remove interleaving from your line.  Sorry for the delay!