cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are plusnet now actively blocking OpenVPN connections? Serious issues over the past few weeks.

ErTnEc
Grafter

Are plusnet now actively blocking OpenVPN connections? Serious issues over the past few weeks.

Are Plusnet now blocking or filtering connections to OpenVPN servers? Over the past few weeks, I've had numerous issues connecting to a multitude of OpenVPN servers via UDP 1912, to the point where nothing seemed to be going through, or it appeared to be heavily filtered.  Reaching out to the VPN Provider, they suggested trying alternate ports, which resolved the issue and everything seemed to be working fine once more.  The same hosts were being connected to just with a different port.

Fast forward now to this week, and it appears this new port is now being blocked or filtered out, and trying to alternate the port again fails.  I've reached out to the VPN Provider, and they've advised there are no blocks or filters their side and that it could be down to routing.  Nothing my side has changed in quite some time regarding configuration or setup, so this only leads me to think that something else between my side & the VPN is causing this.  I have managed to connect to a single host so far, but then I'm hit with excessive amount of latency.

I can ping the IP's just fine.

1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Are plusnet now actively blocking OpenVPN connections? Serious issues over the past few weeks.

Have you checked whether the Plusnet server side Broadband Firewall hasn't changed to "High" - which would block VPN.

It is not unknown for that firewall to unexpectedly change settings, although normally as part of an account renewal or upgrade.

I don't have any problem with OpenVPN when that firewall is set to "Low"