cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Almost no connection for 6+ weeks, Plusnet unhelpful

chromesun
Dabbler

Almost no connection for 6+ weeks, Plusnet unhelpful

I'm trying to get someone at Plusnet to show an interest in a connection issue - an interest beyond pasting repetitive "advice" into the 23 (A4) page fault ticket I've had open since 24th May.
It's not this account, I'm "it" for a number of family/friend accounts... I can PM the problem account and ticket number to a Plusnet staffer if anyone can suggest a suitable person. I see James Bailey mentioned here and on Thinkbroadband... worth contacting him?
Perhaps someone here has had a similar problem and found a resolution? Quick summary:
Plusnet ADSLmax connection works fine for about a year.
Netgear DG834G left on almost 24/7, comforting lit DSL light.
Wireless PC and laptop - can always "see" the router (whether ADSL is on or not).
Towards the end of May the DSL light went out.
Two phones and the router are connected - no change in devices or cables; no problems with voice even when ADSL is off.
Worked through all the usual stuff (router off/wait/on, unplug phones, use master socket) several times with no change.
Tried a different "known good" Draytek+cable+filter, but no change - just nothing to sync to.
A couple of times in the past 6 or 7 weeks the connection has come back up, but only for just over a day at a time. Routerstats shows nothing unusual when the connection is up... but sync is abruptly lost again. Each of the occasional days of working internet was preceded by BTw doing something (resetting the line card in the exchange I suspect).
Eventually, after two imaginary appointments, an engineer attended. On finding there was no ADSL signal reaching the house he went off to the local exchange to "reset the line card". 30mins later the router regained sync... and a day later it was gone again.
Recently I saw "internal" references in the PN fault ticket referring to a BT "Trouble Ticket" and things seemed to be moving forward. There was mention of how "This circuit is up for an average 8.0% of the time" and Plusnet seemed to be pushing BTw a bit.
Last week (Tue 7th July) the router regained sync and lasted 6 days! Wow. It died again on Sunday and my friend was without ADSL yet again. I added a note to the ticket, informing PN the line was down again.
What's infuriating me - incandescent with rage is more like it - is PN's latest ticket addition today... a pasted clip of the BT appointment time bumf. My friend's already had to take 3 days off work to wait in for an engineer, and only on the 3rd occasion did one turn up. BT had the unmitigated gall to adjust their "records" several days after both of the failed appointments to say that they had attended.
It would be very difficult for her to take another day off work and Plusnet knows this from several phone conversations. In addition it seems patently obvious that the fault is outwith my friend's house. Yet PN paste in the appointment-needed bumf with no attempt at rationale whatsoever. I find that deeply insulting and further evidence of PN's desire to disown the problem.
As you all know, we PN customers are not allowed to contact BT directly, so I cannot verify any of the stuff PN has said in the ticket. And even if I could, my friend's contract is not with BT, it's with Plusnet.
So, rather than make another (apparently pointless) addition to the PN ticket I thought I start exploring other avenues. I'm still trying to be nice and hold onto my temper so I thought asking about the problem here might get some helpful suggestions.
Thanks in advance,
Renny.
7 REPLIES 7
James
Grafter

Re: Almost no connection for 6+ weeks, Plusnet unhelpful

Hi Renny,
I suspect that I'm the James Bailey that you're referring to Smiley
Can you PM me the username / ticket number please?
SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

I had no internet for over 72 days when I was with Pipex, and it got bounced round and round and was found, eventually, when BT got up and did some proper investigation (like sending an engineer out), to be a faulty line card in the exchange, which BT then said they could not replace as they had no spares. I found that BT "lied" then, saying they had sent engineers to my house when they hadn't.
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Sat in the lounge at my daughter's house ALL day recently waiting for BT engineer - no signs or calls - rang to enquire at 4:30pm as to whereabouts - "he attended fault but no-one was in!!" .......... GRRRRRRR Angry
chromesun
Dabbler

@JameseH:
thanks for posting, I've PM'd you the details.
regards,
Renny.
chromesun
Dabbler

@SteveA:
Sounds depressingly familiar, and it's something I've seen on occasion with clients signed up to other ISPs too. It doesn't seem to matter which ISP when the common factor beneath that is BTw. I've generally found certain ISPs (Plusnet, Zen) are more proactive when "pushing" BTw but, ultimately, BTw is a law unto itself and customer support is an afterthought at best.

@brewerdave:
You have my sympathy for that one... been there, done that, got the t-shirt. It is absolutely *infuriating*. There appears to be no oversight and no accountability at BTw or, indeed, at BT in general.
James
Grafter

Hi there,
Thanks for your time on the phone.
As I mentioned, I suspect it is a problem with the line card at the exchange.  Once her holiday is over, please let me know and I'll arrange for another engineer visit.
Please do accept my apologies for the amount of time that it has taken to resolve the fault so far.
chromesun
Dabbler

@Jamesh:
is it possible to ensure the ticket does not auto-close before, say, Tue 04 August?
regards,
Renny.