cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL2+ disconnects again

Mardler
Rising Star

ADSL2+ disconnects again

After months of rock solid connection at good speeds the disconnects started again last night. They were fairly frequent from c.8pm. There was a good connection from about 02:00 this morning until 18:07 when it dropped.

Nothing has changed in the premises.

Previously the fault has always been external mostly the copper cable sometimes PN but never internal.

Target SNRM is c.7 to 8 actual.

PN, please run diagnostics to check the line.

9 REPLIES 9
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 258

Re: ADSL2+ disconnects again

@Mardler Which router are you using? The event log would be useful. Note that PN support is minimal at the weekend.

John
Mardler
Rising Star

The router log is the same as always, PPP down.

All I need is line diagnostics. Will bump this tomorrow evening if no PN response.

jab1
Legend

OK - only trying to help, if you don't want it, fair enough.

BTW - 'bumping' topics is against forum rules, and just puts them down the list.

John
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 77

@Mardler you could preempt the test by using this link

https://www.plus.net/help/report-a-problem/broadband/#broadband 

Mardler
Rising Star

John (Jab1): yup, nothing personal but I have had enough of people who treat every questioner as technically illiterate and proceed to ask basic questions which are always covered by me beforehand. My background was in IT, I used to build PCs and I know a fair bit about comms. I still fettle my own gear. Rarely do I learn anything technical here.

That said, thanks for chipping in not knowing me. The bump point seems daft policy, I have done it before and always elicited an apology.

FYI, the modem (router) is a Billion 7800DXL and rather good it is too.

Mardler
Rising Star

Dan, yes I know but don't usually do so until line diagnostics have been run.

jab1
Legend

@Mardler wrote:

John (Jab1): yup, nothing personal but I have had enough of people who treat every questioner as technically illiterate and proceed to ask basic questions which are always covered by me beforehand. My background was in IT, I used to build PCs and I know a fair bit about comms. I still fettle my own gear. Rarely do I learn anything technical here.

That said, thanks for chipping in not knowing me. The bump point seems daft policy, I have done it before and always elicited an apology.

FYI, the modem (router) is a Billion 7800DXL and rather good it is too.

Fair enough. If (as you say), I don't know you - or any other poster - and the question refers to basic problems, I find asking basic questions at the outset saves time because it gives those trying to help a baseline to work from - you never said you had covered the basics.

However, following your statement above, I will know not to bother replying in future.

John
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 77

You are aware the link I sent you does run a diagnostic test on your line?

Quickest way - troubleshoot by text

Text HELP to 07800008121
(charges may apply at your standard rate).

• We’ll run tests on your connection to find out what’s going on
  • If you need an engineer, we’ll text you in 15 mins to book a slot

I'm with John I will not bother commenting on this thread anymore.

Mardler
Rising Star

Yes, Dan, I was aware.

Previously, I have raised the problem this way and been able, fairly quickly, to see for myself what's going on. Rather that way and decide the next step myself, this mainly so as not to saddle the PN techies if possible.

Ironically, the incredibly stable connection of late has worked against me as I have missed what appears to be a serious deterioration in customer service via this avenue.

I will continue to monitor the situation here (connection up18 hours) and see what happens.

Oh and by all means chip in bearing in mind that I will have all* the basics covered. In future I will preface such requests with a "basics covered" note and give the modem log error.

*but there may always be a different angle worth investigating.

Cheers.